Why cuts into vinyl covers?

Sorry if this has been asked before.  In my search to purchase vinyl I come across albums that have holes drilled or half inch cuts into the corners of the albums.  I've come across this on CD cases as well.  Does anybody know, who does this and why?  And do you think it devalues the album?
Thanks in advance.

skipping
edcyn:

Great place to meet a wife (met mine while shopping @ Trader Joe's).

Was posting with tunnel vision/thinking before as I was referring to the Sunset store in Hollywood/West Hollywood.

Though Jay didn't look old enough @ the time think he said he'd worked there for 15 years (this was in the early 90's).

Maybe he lied about his age to enlist in Tower Records?

DeKay
I just found a slit cut-out copy of a Philips classical LP among my vinyl. Nielsen and Sibelius Symphonies. Recorded live at the famed Concertgebouw in Amsterdam. Of course, I hadn’t listened to it in probably 20 years. I barely knew it existed. It has a $4.69 price sticker from what I believe was Freak Beat Records on Ventura Blvd in Sherman Oaks CA. Anyway, it sounds absolutely excellent despite being a digital remastering. Compelling music and compelling live recording, including applause. A typically dead silent Philips pressing. What can I tell ya?
I recently purchased a record, Joni Mitchell Mingus, on eBay from a record dealer. When received it had a hole-punch in the corner. I looked back at the ad, and the front pic had a price sticker on the outer sleeve covering the hole. The sleeve it came with, no sticker. The other pic showed the gatefold open with the front  and back corners (with holes) conviently out of the pic. I messaged the seller and he explained that pic was an old pic of an other (same) record he sold previously. 🙄