Is One Subwoofer Really Not Appropriate For 2-Chnl

I'm asking this question although I've read about this countless of times. I know 2-subs are preferable than 1 in 2-channel listening as they can load the room better for a more even bass response. However, is 1 sub really not appropriate and not recommended? Planning to go with a high-quality monitor + sub.

Anybody used a sub with Dynaudio Confidence C1, Focal Diablo Utopia or Totem The One?

Thanks in advance.
ryder
I previously used a single sub with Micro Utopias. I think the key is placing the sub between the speakers as opposed to in a corner or something. I didn't feel the need to add another sub.

But if you've got money burning a hole in your pocket, well that's another story.
IME, two subs typically yield better results, because two subs usually provide smoother in-room frequency response.

Having said that, I use a single sub for 2 channel listening, and it sounds great. But part of the reason is that I am able to (1) EQ the sub and (2) control the delay on the sub and the mains, so that the two are time aligned to within about a millisecond.

Regardless of whether you use one sub or two, I believe that it is essential to SQ that the sub(s) are time aligned with the mains, either through positioning, or through the use of delay. This is my opinion, and it is a somewhat controversial one, as you can read on another thread. If you cannot position/delay BOTH subs so that they are time aligned, but you can time align a SINGLE sub, then personally I would go with a single sub.

Good luck.

Bryon

Bryon
My local Hi Fi store carries the Focal Utopia line and my absolute favorite listening experience is the Diablo speakers with a JL Audio subwoofer. I think it was the F113.

I know that had one customer that matched the Diablo's with the Gotham G213 but I don't think I've actually heard that combination.

I have heard the G213 with the Grande speakers and that was pretty great, but not worth the difference in price since I actually like the Diablo sound better at any price.
Ryder, I have a two channel system with one sub. I agree with Byron that it is important to blend the sub with the mains with respect to frequency cut-off, phase and loudness. My sub is a Paradigm Signature Servo, which is self powered and has separate controls for frequency cut-off, phase and loudness.

I don't know how to optimize time delay (phase) as close as Byron (within one miilisecond) other than just by using my ears to minimize phase cancellation at the cross over point. As regards FR, my mains start to roll-off at 40-50Hz, so I set my sub cut-off frequency at 34-40Hz. So . . . after phase response/time delay and frequency cut-off is adjusted as best as I can, the only adjustment remaining is loudness. I generally don't fool with loudness very often, but may based on source material.

FWIW, using one sub in a two channel system presents two issues in my rig. The first issue relates to summing the stereo signal from the pre into mono for the sub. That topic has generated a lot of discussion is several threads that I participated in, e.g., impedance matching and asymetrical loading of the pre's balanced and SE outputs.

The other issue relates to the placement of the sub. I don't have a lot of placement options in my basement. However, I am able to place the sub in line with the fronts of the Mains and I aim the sub at my left ear. As a result, it's not to difficult to adjust phase. Even though it's hard to hear the directionality and stereo effect of very low frequency sound, I can actually feel (though not hear) high SPL in my left ear. A cheap SPL meter I bought from Radio Shack confirms this. There is another thread on A'gon which discusses the concerns of listening to music at sustained high SPLs.

Anyway that's my experience with a single sub in a two channel system. Hope it helps. Good luck.
Byron,

Can you point us to a good explanation of how to time align subs and mains? Got the dual subs and decently flat freq response. Time to get the time alignment dealt with.