$1000 bookshelf speakers with "recessed", "laid back" or "flat" mid-range?

Dear all,
As stated above, I am looking for a bookshelf speaker with a mid-range that is laid back, recessed or flat. I currently own a pair of Elac Uni-Fi UB5, and I find their presentation quite forward in the mid-range, which I don't appreciate, especially at moderate to high volumes. I also own a pair or Pioneer SP-BS22, which I find more pleasing sounding (particularly the more recessed mid-range) than the Elac.
Since I can't audition speakers where I live, I am asking for your recommendations on bookshelf speakers that have a more "recessed" or "flatter" presentation in the mid-range. I have a budget of $1000. Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!
128x128luciano33
I second the Wharfedale Denton's. I own them and love them. The least bright speaker I've ever heard. They are on constantly in my kitchen setup. I never tire of them. And the low end out of that 5 1/4" driver is ridiculous. I also own the Martin Logan 15's and they are now for sale. Super bright compared to the wharfedales. Running off of a Jolida 502a. 60w tube amp.
Thank you guys for keeping the suggestions coming!
I was seriously considering the Wharfedale Denton, because I read good reviews and they look gorgeous. Most reviews talk about how delicate the top end is and how sweet the midrange is; however, according to this guy (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuvTGNfOj8Q), the presentation of the midrange in the Denton is more forward than in the LS50. So, the speaker is smooth, but forward. Have you experienced that?
i know what you mean about the presentation of Elac speakers. I compared them to B&W and much prefer the gentle and laid back sound they give. no reason to buy new. Used are great