Which USB Re Clocker

I have been very happy with my Innuos Zenith Mk 2 for several years. The sound  is excellent and ripping is child's play. I have been interested in adding the Phoenix Re Clocker for a couple of years, but for various reasons, haven't been able to get a demo yet. One of the selling points of the Phoenix by Innuos, is that it can be used between any source and USB DAC.

Well it also means that any re clocker should work between an Innuos Server and DAC. The one drawback to me is that the Phoenix isn't cheap, at least as far as my budget in retirement is concerned. The Company claims that the Phoenix is more than a Re Clocker, with improved power supplies and other improvements. I don't suppose many of you guys have had the chance to compare the Phoenix with other units. Still any suggestions about other, cheaper Re Clocker units to consider? Particularly if you have had the chance to use it with an Innuos Server, but not much chance of that either. Still any advice is welcome, thanks.

david12

I use a Metrum Acoustics Octave Mk 2, which I like, but realise it is not state of the art. I also have an Ayre QB9, but that had the ridiculous problem with the Innuos, that the USB cable had to be pulled out and reconnected, to trigger the DAC out of standby.

I should say, I am quite happy with digital reproduction and the convenience of a server, which allows me to store 2000+ CDs in the basement.

Thanks for the helpful comments to date.

The Ideon 3R Mastertime Blackstar is fantastic unit. Several owners have compared it directly to the Phoenix and preferred the Ideon. I own the Ideon with an Innuos Zen 3 and the combo is stellar. I have owned several USB reclockers from SOTM and others selling for $1000 and under ..... and the Ideon is in a different league. Not cheap however. $3200 retail. But can be purchased for far less with the right dealer.

I had to decide between the Phoenix and Ideon. I wanted to buy the Phoenix as I own the Innuos server, but after much research decided on the Ideon. Both are said to be top tier USB reclockers and you can’t go wrong with either.

I must be honest and share that my past experience with Innuos service has not been good. It took them 2 months, and several of my persistent emails, to respond to a question/issue I was having with my Zen. When they finally responded it was with a short and condescending comment of no help from one of the principles. Not good. That soured me a tad and most likely influenced my decision to buy the Ideon.
Your Metrum Octave does not support DSD files.  The Metrum has a decent USB receiver, but probably not quite as good as those DACS with the latest version of Amanero USB receiver.

If you wanted to improve things, I would go with the Singxer SU-6 with an external linear power supply upgrade.  Both the Singxer and the Metrum Octave DAC have a true BNC connector (which is highly superior to normal RCA digital connectors). You can then get an amazing S/PDIF cable to drive the Metrum.  I use a 2-meter Nordost Heimdall II digital coax.  I have not found anything better.  Though, some of the Black Cat digital cables may also be excellent.

The Singxer SU-6 and linear power supply upgrade won't be a wasted investment.  You can always upgrade your DAC in the future.  The Singxer is really there to make the Innous a lot better. 
I'm not sure if the DAC you have uses asynchronous USB. I believe the company went out of business or is realigning or something. IMO you would be better off using your money to get a newer DAC that uses asynchronous USB which makes the notion of things like USB reclockers superfluous. 
Asynchronous USB inputs on dacs do not render reclockers useless. My experience has shown a great reclocker like the Ideon can indeed improve the sonic realism of a system dramatically even if the dac has an asynchronous usb input as mine.