Hard disk for Music Server

I am building a PC as a Music Server.  Looking for help to pick hard disks.
Planning get 10 GB.

I am trying to get the best drives.....
Should I have say three 4 TB drives rather than one 10 TB?
How much capacity can one fill before it impacts performance? 70 %
Disk speed 5400 or 7200 rpm?
Brand of disk - HGST Ultrastar, WD Red, or WD Gold?

Thank you.
dcaudio
Again raid 1+0, look at how it works. Very fast, redundant, and hot swappable...Stripped, and mirrored. Yes I’ve built a hot rod or two..

In other words you could pull a drive, replace it. Take the drive you pulled and start a migration, to build another complete system. Space shuttle crap, and a fast way to RE-build a downed system......I would never need it...

The biggest difference between RAID 5 and RAID 10 is how it rebuilds the disks. RAID 10 only reads the surviving mirror and stores the copy to the new drive you replaced. ... However, if a drive fails with RAID 5, it needs to read everything on all the remaining drives to rebuild the new, replaced disk.

I’m not to fond of Software RAID either, I like SCSI, and onboard, disk low level management... The OS or NOS, well you can get as teckie as you like...LOL I like easy... Not lines of code to just create a BOOT strap, to see a disk, to read a disk, then boot from a 60 POUND, 60 meg hard drive. An IBM 36 was that way, that I maintained for quite a few years...

When were talking Backup, that should be a given, guys.. Really, who doesn’t have a tape backup, or at least a CD backup. A HD or SSD will ALWAYS fail, it’s just a question of when...

Another thing, a PS failure, very seldom leads to a drive failure. I’ve never seen one, lower quality PS of old could lead to drive failures, very rare though. Like MFM, RLL, and ESDI drives, before SCSI, and WAY before, any IDE stuff. Again it is a single failure, BUT no data loss. One of a few reasons for RAID to begin with.
Speed, Reliable, not expensive, redundant, and not necessarily a proprietary part needs to replace a failed one...
Replace a Seagate with a Maxtor, give it a physical ID, terminate, and away you go.....
Regards..

One other thing, even though software raid is not the best... It’s still pretty good. The problem, the software usually complements the drive spec only, not the interface between a SCSI driver board (with its own onboard buffer, ROM, and HI speed RAM). So if you lose a drive, you need to replace with the same or use a software patch.. Even more proprietary..
Good place to get malicious, if you’re handy with a GOOD keyboard break routine, and a few other tricks, to speed the console up...Wipe someone elses drive pretty quick. Command line access is pretty hard on a good SCSI board..You ain’t gonna do it over a phone/LAN/WAN/WiFi, or any way. It would be real tough...You gotta be there to access the bios.

Now think, three board per server each board can run 14 devices and one ID for the boards, you have 5 servers. Each drive is 10T, spinning at 10,000 rpm....I wonder how many miles that is in a year? 2.5" or 3.5" 2-6 platters, Sorry I ran out of fingers and toes... It's a lot....Carry the 1, geez that one hell of a cipher!!! Ok brainiacs, step up, way out of my league.. I'm simple.

I’ll ponder that while I feed the chickens...

Regards
If you are worried about data recovery or losing a disk on a raid 5 system, then use raid 6 which has 2 parity drives so you can actually lose 2 drives and still keep working. For casual use around the home for sharing music and video files, an external raid 5 (Or 6 if you can find it) will be the cheapest and still provide the read speed that you need. Ripping will be slower but who cares, you put a dvd in and come back in 15 mins to eject the dvd.
watch out for home cloud drives, they are slow, painfully slow.
You can create your own NAS drive by hooking up a drive on the back of your router that you can share. Pretty easy and no cost. I use a dedicated server with most of my hard drives and SSD’s attaches to it to do all file sharing and backups from that server In the early mornings. It’s main task during the day and night is running Roon, and soon Plex.