The Hardest Naturally Occurring Substance on Earth

Yep - You all know from grammar school that is the diamond, which incidentally is what is used to make the stylus of our turntable cartridges.  If it is so hard, and it is going up against some fairly soft vinyl, why do we worry about poor quality LPs damaging the cartridge or stylus?  Sure, I understand the cantilever, but the actual Stylus?  The old phrase for me is "Does Not Compute".   What are your thoughts and insights?
pgaulke60
I am sure my post is fleeting, but I could not resist, the POTUS brain...
In that thread there are many folks who decide which turntable to play the LP on based on the condition of the LP. Poorer quality LPs are played on more affordable turntables and cartridges.
All styli eventually wear out.

It's not so much that I'm worried that a worn record is going to wear out the stylus faster.

I'd rather use the less expensive cartridge if the record isn't going to sound the best and use the better cartridge on better quality vinyl. Yes, I'd like to make the better cartridge last longer. 

Does that "compute"?

"Not sure that make a lot of styli out of wurtzite boron nitride."
I see a business opportunity right there. The market is hungry for new giant slayer in audio. Beeswax fuses, liquid cables, Rhodium outlets, graphene, time to go bye bye. We present the new star of audio world...
"geoffkait is the Oscar Wilde of this joint, and that's good enough for me."
True, New Dark Matter has a chance to remain relevant.