The Hardest Naturally Occurring Substance on Earth

Yep - You all know from grammar school that is the diamond, which incidentally is what is used to make the stylus of our turntable cartridges.  If it is so hard, and it is going up against some fairly soft vinyl, why do we worry about poor quality LPs damaging the cartridge or stylus?  Sure, I understand the cantilever, but the actual Stylus?  The old phrase for me is "Does Not Compute".   What are your thoughts and insights?
pgaulke60
Interesting OP.
I am afraid I do not count myself in that group even though I have two TT set up in my rig.
One is mono, the other stereo and thats it.
Buy a SoundSmith and forget to about it.
You mean because of the very fair rebuild prices?
Still never tried a Soundsmith cart yet, its on my bucket list though.
If it is so hard, and it is going up against some fairly soft vinyl, why do we worry about poor quality LPs damaging the cartridge or stylus?

Just who is this "we"? Audiophiles, is my bet.

So really your question boils down to why do audiophiles worry about stuff that makes so little sense? The question answers itself. Because audiophiles.
.. folks who decide which turntable to play the LP on based on the condition of the LP.

another audiophile nonsense, unless you’re not collecting vinyl in VG or VG- condition, which is impossible to listen to, even on dedicated turntable.

Fair VG+ or NM are fine for all cartridges and they will not damage the stylus.

People who afraid the nature of vinyl are digital freaks