I just bought a Audio Research D-90.

It's said that it puts out 90 watts,X 2 @ 16 ohms. But what do'es it put out @ 4 and 8 ohms? And can anyone tell me the differance between the 6l6,6550 and 5881 tube's?
Thanks,Bill
houseofsound
Bill - In response to your question ..."what I want to know is if one model of the tubes I mentioned has a better bass reproduction than the others?" I thought I answered that in my last post, but I'll try to put it in another way.

An amp designed around the use of a 6550 compared to an amp designed around a 6L6/5881 tube can and often will sound similar. In an amp designed around the use of 6550's but also allows the use of 6L6's will have the same differences only they will be more noticible. I described my perception of these probable differences in my third paragraph. Caveat, educated guesses perhaps, but they are just guesses!

Or, perhaps, are you just asking for a recommendation of which brand of tube to use in the ARC? As opposed to type? I do not know which of the models you have - does the model you have allow you to use either type of tube?

That is easy for 6550's - I would try SED 6550's first. I've used them for years and love their tone and ruggedness. They are often OEM tubes in ARC amps. If you want recommendations for 6L6's or 5881's, I can't help you. I've only used them in one amp and I never experimented. If your amp can use 6L6GC's though it is easy to recommend the SED 6L6GC, another excellent new production tube.

Hope that helps a bit more.....
NEWBEE,
Thanks for all your help.I ordered 2 sets of tubes today. 8-6L6gc's and 8-6550's.I thought I'd try them both and hear for myself the differents.I'm turning into quiet the tube junkie.My wife thinks I should start selling the ones I don't need on Ebay. She just doesn't get it.I just wanted to Thank You. If you or anyone else has any info, hints or insights that might help me in my new found quest for the perfect tube combo,please write. Thanks,Bill