I'm here for the enthusiasts, not the snobbery

Couple of threads have shown up lately. "Should you be an audiophile if you..." either have a certain type of gear, have a certain amount of money, or don’t make your own.

I personally reject all of that. I’m here for the enthusiasts, and those who suffer. That is, people who are enthusiastic about listening to music via electronics and those who are suffering with problems who need a little help. That’s how I try to build a community.

Also want to point out, again, that this hobby was built by hobbyists and tinkerers. The range included backyard self-electrocuting iconoclasts to scientists in acoustics and electrical engineering. I’m happy to welcome them all.

Laslty, I want to say something about the Porsche metaphor:

1 - All Porsches are ugly. This is an indisputable fact no one wants to talk about and means all debate needs to stop right there.

2 - Any motorcycle is more fun and exciting than any car.

Thank you for reading this and I’m glad I had a chance to nip these conversations in the bud. << evil troll laugh >>
erik_squires
  Interesting.....Funny how just the mention of a word or two (motorcycles/cars) can take a post into an entirely different direction,

Hence my evil laugh. :)

I hope your hearing is better than your eyesight, Porsche’s are anything but ugly
This is a funny topic and oddly related to audiophile culture.

Porsche's...really...911s are a study in slow and steady evolution. It's beautiful in that way. In the broad scheme of things, there are so many better looking cars...but so few have developed and evolved like that particular Porsche.

I think cars are generally ugly these days. Mostly because designers don't draw enough (I'm generalizing here)...and rely on computer modeling and rendering. Scale is way off.  From behind, my '68 Mustang...next to a late model Corolla/Civic...looks tiny.  That's the 'scale' issue.  It's also why we have McMansions. Scale is something Michelangelo knew something about and kids today don't. That's why most late (post 90's) cars look really awful to me. 

I also think the trend in audio is to make the sound full and big. Think Macs, Primaluna.  I think the more I listen, I like the music to sound real to scale and honest...more like when I hear Audio Research.

@whart omg thanks for posting, I miss YOU ma hope this finds you and yours well
Eric:

” strong like Bull ( Lamborghini ), Smart
like Tractor ( Porsche )...
gets me thru the confusing parts of the day...

but there was that day I quit the two wheel gig: R-90 versus Blue Haired lady in a slant 6 Dodge Dart...,

now there is a fuguly.... car