Should people with no turntable or reel to reel be considered audiophiles?

Just like those driving a Porsche SUV can join PCA (digital audio fans can join Audiogon) but are certainly not Porschephiles unless they also own a coupe (Panamera owners I guess gets a pass here).

Please respond with a yes or no and we'll tally a vote for the first 100 responses.

sokogear
Absolutely yes. I can’t afford a Porsche, can’t drive a stick because of my knees, and don’t have a sports car because it’s not practical, but it doesn’t mean I’m not a car guy with an interest in higher performance vehicles. Likewise, with audio. My system is vintage mid-fi because I have to provide for my family and pay my mortgage, but that doesn’t keep me from reading everything I can about high end equipment and dreaming of the system I would buy if I hit lotto. As it turns out, I do own a turntable, but that’s mostly due to my age and the amount of LP’s I’ve carried around with me from my youth. I enjoy listening to my vinyl, but truth be told, I mostly listen to digital music because of the variety I can access online. And yes, I do consider myself an Audiophile.
YES.

It is snobbish attitudes like this that keep our hobby from growing. We need less elitism and certainly less arrogance. We are not and should not be a chummy little club barring the door against the masses.

Given the current political environment, attitudes that created unspoken barriers to entry are what led to restricted communities, clubs, and employers.   

As as for the auto reference, 928 owners are embraced as Porschefiles, just as Fiat Dino and Lancia Stratos owners are embraced by Ferrari owners.
"...just as Fiat Dino and Lancia Stratos owners are embraced by Ferrari owners."
You mean Lancia Stratos owners actually accept to mingle with Ferrari owners? Now, that is what you call not being snobbish and letting mundane ones rub the shoulders with you.

What is next? Delta HF Integrale asking for approval at some beauty contest?
Glupson said only an audiophile can be deluded into thinking directional wire and wire elevators work, but before that said they don't get sucked into that thinking. Which is it?

French Fries is right on the money.

Vonharaland - people come to PCA meetings with all kinds of cars, especially if it's raining. I think the only technical requirement for actual PCA membership is if you own or once owned a Porsche. Nobody has ever been kicked out of a meeting for any reason. We're nice. I'm sure that includes former members who didn't pay their renewal dues.

Nicola - you ARE definitely an Audiophile, but not a Porschephile (or not even a car guy).

Who is barring the doors to the masses as far as Audiophiledom? The problem is most people in our society don't care about getting the highest quality - they care about the most convenience (and cost - maybe). It takes time to place a record on the platter, brush it for lint, take the albums into sleeves and then into their jacket, and then keep them perfectly vertical on the shelf. Twice as often for 45s, which sound better (another discussion). I think any Audiophile is at least a little OCD (as I'm sure I am) or else their albums probably sound like crap. As I said many times - it is a self defining term.

And yes 928 owners are certainly welcomed in with open arms. We like rare cars and they have mostly been covered to parts cars.
Separate question that I haven't been able to get answered in another discussion about phono stages (not sure why). What is the advantage of a balanced input or output for phono stages? Is that feature only available on very expensive models? Is there a special MC voltage where this feature is helpful?

Sorry for the divergence, but this discussion seems to be getting a larger audience.