A/V Receiver Recommendation for a newby.

Hi folks. I'll be the first to admit I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to home theater systems.  I know the basics . I recently bought a  pair of Bowers and Wilkins 702 s2 speakers along with the htm 71 s2 center  channel. I have a pair of PSB GB1 book shelf for the rear speakers.  I currently have an Onkyo TX-NR676 a/v receiver.  I've been told by multiple people that this receiver isn't powerful enough to drive the B&W speakers and am looking to upgrade. I do have a limited budget after shelling out $6000 in speakers. I was wondering if anyone has experience with the Onkyo  TX NR 797 or Denon avr 2600h or recommendations My max budget is $1000.
Thanks in advance. 
elwayfan
For your information, Dolby Atmos and DTS:X are not hard requirements.  You can play a Dolby Atmos movie through a normal non-Atmos processor and it will work just fine.  Both formats are fully backward compatable.  I would say that you really only want to get a Atmos/DTS:X receiver if you actually want more than 7.1 channels (and height channels). 

The big problems with current compatibility are the 4K and HDR requirements.
Just because “other” people say you need a more powerful AVR doesn’t make it so.  If you don’t sense any distortion, strain, or lack of power you’re probably fine where you are.  Onkyo makes relatively good sounding AVRs, so if you’re happy I’d recommend just enjoying what you have and give your wallet a rest.  If you do get the upgrade bug in the future, and given you’re mainly a HT guy, I agree with others that Anthem should be at the top of your list.  

BTW, you didn’t mention a subwoofer.  If you don’t have one, that should be your next purchase without a doubt.  SVS makes very good and reasonably priced subs with excellent customer support and service if you’re in the market.  Hope this helps, and enjoy the new speakers!
Thanks Siox2. I was running  a pair of B&W 683 s2's previously with the current receiver and they seemed to pair well  However these new speakers do seem like I have to turn the volume up more  and seem  a little muffled. I have  run auto microphone calibration as well  I do have a nice subwoofer but am not using it as it would shake the walls too much and I  have  a neighbor I share a common wall with. I'm really going to think about the Acram but does it make sense to step up to the  720? I just want to buy something where I  won't have to upgrade for a while.  Thanks guys.
My advice would be to get the best Marantz AVR you can for $1k. Marantz puts out new models every year, and when they do the old ones go on sale about 40% off. So their $1.5k (or whatever it is) will probably go for $1k new at that point.

It’ll have all the Atmos/DTX and also will have a pretty good digital streamer for streaming music (Tidal, Qobuz, Spotify, etc.) and will sound pretty good for music also.

That’s if $1k is really your budget limit. It is possible to do better if you have more to spend, but at $1k I don’t think it is possible to do better if you want Atmos (which if you are heavy HT, is worthwhile).

I have marantz SR5012 running an Atmos 5.1.2 system in my main HT system. It works great for tv and movies.

Now my main music system costs 3x more than my main HT system (I don’t use the HT for music), but when I started I did.

If you get more seriously into music, you can get a dedicated 2 ch amp or integrated for that later.
Thanks Kren. I will definitely keep my eyes out for that. Thanks everyone for the input.  I've learned a lot!