is the sound of vinyl due to the physical process of the turntable?

Same here. I do not own a turntable, however, if the sound of vinyl comes from the physical act of the record on the turntable why can't I transfer digital audio or at least emulate that process to digitally recreate that sound? I remember back in the 1970's you had 45rpm records on the back of cereal boxes and they were not vinyl, however they sounded good why can't I do that myself?
guitarsam
Hi,
they are spinning at higher speeds and they are clamped.
Some players even have weight clamps.
+1 for more info being on the disc.
The CD laser has a nano scale beam width and the spiral of physical data on the CD is also nano scale in diameter. In order to keep the laser focused on the data spiral whilst the disc is fluttering there is laser servo feedback system 🔄 and a tiny spring system for the laser that allows the laser to move very easily back and forth as required to stay on the spiral track.

The trouble is there is so much fluttering of the disc and movement caused by external forces (vibration) along with the out-of-round condition of the CD disc the laser servo system can’t keep up with all of the motion. Furthermore, unless you’ve obtained precise level of the CD while spinning the disc will wobble even more. Further exacerbating the situation, very low frequency seismic forces act 🔜 on the tiny spring suspension of the laser, the Fr of which is about 8 Hz, making the laser move unnecessarily. The CD edge beveler from Germany 🇩🇪 was designed to make the CD perfectly round which helped eliminate the flutter problem, but did not go far enough. I stiffen the CD disc and obtain absolute level whilst playing.

The laser light is scattered inside the transport box while the laser reads the data. The entire inside of the transport is lit up like a Christmas tree 🎄 but you would need infrared goggles to see it since it’s invisible light. The scattered laser light gets into the photodetector, which can’t tell the “good light“ from the scattered light. My NEW DARK MATTER scattered light absorber is the only audiophile device specifically designed to prevent invisible AND invisible scattered laser light from entering the photodetector and damaging the sound.
Dragging a rock through a ditch. But that is not what you are listening to.
You are listening to an AC signal generated in tiny coils by the motion of a magnet or visa versa. Magnetic induction. This is followed by the electronics required to equalize the signal and drive amplifiers. Believe it or not the rock actually does a very good job within a certain frequency band and groove velocity. When compared directly to digital files of the same master, vinyl playback has an ethereal quality that adds a sensation of depth. Since a vinyl version of a digital file has the same quality this is obviously a distortion albeit happy one of the vinyl playback chain. It is also a sound quality that humans gravitate towards as even young people are buying vinyl and vinyl playback systems. Another important point is that if I make a digital file of the playback of a vinyl album I get an exact copy of the ethereal sound. The digital now sounds like vinyl. In 192/24 you can not tell the difference between the actual vinyl and the digital file of the vinyl whereas it is easy to tell the difference between actual vinyl playback and fully digital playback. This is a very repeatable observation through a variety of ears. Even my wife picks up on it. Channel D's Pure Vinyl is a great program by the way. It allows you to record vinyl to your computer and makes these comparisons easy. Mikey uses it. You can even edit out the pops and ticks! 
Anyway, nobody that I know of has ever characterized this happy distortion. Humans like more sensory input. We like brighter colors, spicier food and euphoric sound so in essence vinyl playback becomes an art form. We talk about cartridges as if they were bottles of wine, a painting. Whereas digital is digital, not much too talk about. Speakers are the same way. So, we are all like wine aficionados. Nobody knows the hell what we are talking about.