TRL Marantz Sa-14

After speaking to Paul at TRL I am very curious to hear from those who own this unit what improvements do you hear with the player before and after the mod.

The SA-14 sounds weak in the bass and has no dynamics in comparison to some players like the Sony Scd-1 in stock form. Has anyone compared the TRL Sa-14 to the Sony Scd-1?
la45
Agreed on the 300 hour mark for the sound to really start filling out. Bass does not really kick in until then, but when it does you will be quite pleased. 500 hours easy for full break in.

Have fun!
Interesting thread. Where can one find out more about TRL? I've heard positive remarks about their amplifiers but they're out of my price range. What else have they made? Valence
Valence-

Here is their website link.

http://www.tuberesearchlabs.com/
Specific questions to their email listed are usually answered by Paul Weitzel pretty quickly.

They mod most any digital unit or amplifier for a standard fee of $550. Don't ask me why they picked that figure, but most would say it is the deal of the century in audio.
Yes, they make $140,000 SOTA tube amps and $30,000 digital reproduction units. They also do audio recording and engineering projects, cables, Record Cleaning products, CD Treatment projects, and medical field digital technology work on a major scale. They have been around for decades and are generally thought of very postively by those in the audio business.
They are now making a solid state integrated amp that many people like that is around $5000 I think. I have heard it firsthand and it is quite good.

Good luck.
Thank you Lkdog for your assistance. I did not know they were involved in so many things. Valence
I've had my modded SA-11 for 4 days now. It's a beautifully built player -- that's for sure. I've got about 75 hours on it. So far I'm very, very pleased. Certinaly a steal for the $$$.

I suppose the only players I'd consider "trading up" for are the DCS one box and the EMM Labs combo, but certainly not before an audition to compare them against the Marantz.

Incidentally, Paul provides excellent, responsive customer service.

I highly recommended the player and TRL.