TRL Marantz Sa-14

After speaking to Paul at TRL I am very curious to hear from those who own this unit what improvements do you hear with the player before and after the mod.

The SA-14 sounds weak in the bass and has no dynamics in comparison to some players like the Sony Scd-1 in stock form. Has anyone compared the TRL Sa-14 to the Sony Scd-1?
la45
I have had my unit modded now for about 6 weeks. Yes without a doubt for now this unit does everything right. Talk about a true reference component,this is it. "At Last" as Etta James would whale, finally the journey is over at last. Kudo's to the master and his team of fine gentlemen. Thanks Paul, and you're the greatest!
Hello all, I've been away for a while, trying to fully understand Audiogon's moderation. You can't keep a big mouth like me away for long ...

Bob: You'll enjoy the TRL/SA-14. It is a very involving player as Paul (Oldpet) stated. You'll find yourself staying up later than you'd planned. :)

Jay: Your player will change dramatically, after you send it back for the free updates. It will be the best $300 (for the shipping) that you've spent in audio. Just ask the guys who had the SA-14 before and after the updates.

Tony (Clio09): Nice to hear a report back from you. It has been a while. You must have been enjoying the music. FYI, it takes the CRL digital cable a while to fully break in ... ah Hell, the same can be said for the TRL mod. Enjoy!

Howard: I hope that you can find a nice, clean SA-14. Bob (Baranyi mentioned, "I do know of another version one in Chicago if anyone is looking". Maybe you 2 should e-mail each other? Good luck ... you deserve it. :)

Lithojoe: Are you the guy that bought Jerry Taylor's TRL phono stage?

Best,

Jack Seaton
Welcome to all the new owners of the TRL SA14!
It really still brings a smile to my face every time I spin a disk.

As for vibration dampening; I am using isoblock type things that Brian W. recommended. Have not tried others and I simply have 4 of them under the stock feet.
The unit is placed on a very heavy MDF shelf unit on a basement carpet over cement floor.
I should play around with tweaks more, but after I got my speaker placement dialed in decently, I am taking a break on changes right now.
Hi Jack. I'll definitely get it done. I am really amazed at how revealing the TRL SA14 is. As I said, the bybee filters had a minor impact on the sound before but now with the SA14 the difference is night and day!

Cheers,

- Jay
Jay: Good to hear. You'll be pleased with the update. Ask Oldpet, it is night and day.

I've tried bybees in the past. They didn't stay long ... Great to hear from you again.

Tony, aka dog: Sorry I left you out above. Sounds like you're just enjoying the music ... that's what it is all about.

Howard: I have tried Roller blocks, and Stillpoints under my 14, but prefer the Wagner A/V mounting pad. The Mapleshade Isoblocks are nothing more than the "Wagner AV Mounting Pad", available at any Heating/Ventilation/Air Conditioning contractor supply house. Heating contractors use them under underneathe heating and cooling systems. Check your yellow pages.

Pierre (Mapleshade) claims that they are his proprietary design, "I evolved the IsoBlock specifically for our maple platforms" (LOL). http://www.mapleshaderecords.com/tweaks/isoblocks.php

Anyway, they have worked best under my 14, in my system.

I've said this before: Isolation devices can be used to tune a system to help system integration. For example, some systems may need a little more tightness in the mids and highs. The Stillpoints may be a good choice for this application. I've even used a combination of various isolation devices in my past, like using the HRS Nimbus didsc/pucks underneathe Stillpoints to tone down the Stillpoints.

Experiment. Have fun. See what works best for your system. Once you have the 14, drop me an e-mail and tell me what you hear. I have many of the countless isolation devices out there and know the 'sound' of each one. I'd be happy to suggest which isolation device might suit your needs.

Best,

Jack Seaton
[email protected]