TRL Marantz Sa-14

After speaking to Paul at TRL I am very curious to hear from those who own this unit what improvements do you hear with the player before and after the mod.

The SA-14 sounds weak in the bass and has no dynamics in comparison to some players like the Sony Scd-1 in stock form. Has anyone compared the TRL Sa-14 to the Sony Scd-1?
la45
Remember guys that cables must integrate into a system, there is no "one" cable that will work best for every system. Cabling plays an important role in system synergy. For an example, if you had a Krell based system, your cable choices would be different than someone with a SET based system.

Lkdog: Your cable choices would be different now, with your TRL modified Musical Fidelity A300, then before the mod ... right? Prior to the mod, your A300 was a little edgy. At that time, I would have recommended Cardas to help tame your amp. After the TRL mod, I would recommend a more neutral cable like the FIM/CRL. (Sorry for singling you out ... it is a valid point and I hope that you don't mind me using it as an example)

TRL Family: We can not assume that there is one perfect cable that will integrate well with every system. It is important to know the characteristics of various cables so that we can optimize the synergy to make our systems the best they can be.

LA45: Hey Cuz, how have you been? I haven't heard the SA-11 yet, but will soon, as TRL got verification of shipment from Marantz USA yesterday. I'm making a special trip to hear the first one out the door (Tom Moore's), and will happily report back my findings. The TRL/SA-11 will have to be a "very, very special player" in order to make me want one. My TRL/SA-14 has set a pretty high standard in which to beat. (Just ask Oldpet and Lkdog)

Jsala: Send it back. The difference is more significant than the original mod.

Best,

Jack Seaton
Jack is correct. The TRL SA14 is a very fine machine. Especially since the mod upgrade, which has been very acurately described in the above posts. Even Brian Weitzel said, in emails back and forth, that this is a "very special" machine.
I simply don't have the desire to "upgrade" my source. That says alot - you guys all know how this hobby is. :-)

best
paul
Jes45-

Yes, I wonder now about the power cords on my TRL modded MF A300 integrated amp, and my TRL Marantz SA14 as well as speaker cables, and IC's I am using now that I have a more transparent and resolving overall system.

You are correct that synergy is critical.
I have always taken the approach of not using cables as tone controls so I think I have pretty neutral stuff, but am always wanting to hear what others have tried with good results.
More experimentation with power cables... this is like tube rolling but without the burnt fingers! ;-)

I tried 2 other power cables on the TRL SA14 -- the Analysis Plus Power Oval and the VenHaus Flavor 4. Then, I really mixed things up by putting the CRL Silver back on the SA14 and trying the Analysis Plus Power Oval on my preamp.

1. Analysis Plus Power Oval and the VenHaus Flavor 4, no change to power cord of preamp

The Analysis Plus Power Oval is clearer, more transparent and smoother than the Flavor 4, with better PRaT as well. Midrange has a nice bloom on acoustic guitar but vocals sometimes sound a bit thin, thinner than the VH AirSine but no where as thin as the CRL silver. The bass was not as extended or as tight as the Airsine or CRL, but tighter than the Flavor 4. At this point, the Airsine is clearly the best all around cord so far. The analysis oval plus is probably #2 overall but the CRL does many things better than it. Really, the midrange of the CRL were fuller then it would be almost perfect with the TRL SA14!

2. Next, put the CRL back on the SA14 and put the Analysis Plus Power Oval on my preamp (replacing my Bolder Cable Nitro)

Interestingly... while the Nitro makes the SA14 sound very tube-like and the AP makes the SA14 sound more dynamic, transparent and quite neutral.... the AP does not make my Joule Electra tube preamp sound thin. I had feared that removing the nitro from the Joule would make the SA14+CRL sound very thin. But, no.... the midrange instead sounds fuller and more natural. The overall sound seems a bit more transparent and extended in bass and treble, though sometimes with less bass weight. Overall, the sound is pleasing. Its amazing how the Nitro can interact very differently with the SA14 and the Joule!

At this point, here are the top 3 cable combos that I've tried so far.

1. VH Airsine on SA14, Nitro on Joule pre
2. CRL Silver on SA14, Analysis Plus Power Oval on Joule pre
3. Analysis Plus Power Oval on SA14, Nitro on Joule pre

I hope to find time for a bit more experimentation. I'd like to try the VH Airsine + AP Power Oval. Then maybe I'll aso try swapping out the bybee'd Nitro on my balanced power supply that powers my Joule and Acoustic Reality digital amp.

Fun fun fun. Some people may wish that the TRL SA14 were tubed, but playing with power cords is really helping to significantly shape the sound... and power cords don't burn out like tubes. These are not changes that are hard for me to hear.
Hi Cuz,

Glad to be back on the scene. I am starting to look around for my next upgrade. I would not mind hearing the APL 3910 but its really out of reach for me. The Exemplar player looks interesting and within reach. Its hard to find a problem with the Sony 2000es TRL (after some additional transport support) sound so an upgrade to the SA14 or SA11 has to be another level up.

Don't know where I will land next so any feedback from users on any of these players are welcome. The SA-14 is a sure winner I just want a current player.