RME ADI-2 DAC FS is it "All That", especially for under $2,000?

I am upgrading my main system with a Mark Levinson No 532H and pair of Tekton MOABs, arriving in the next few weeks. I decided my Music Hall 25.3 DAC should probably be upgraded as well, I have a PS Audio preamp I was planning on still using.

I am getting a lot of recommendations for the RME ADI-2 DAC FS, and some are saying replace my PS Audio preamp with it also. Pretty much every review or even mention of it I can find, comes with descriptions like "End Game product regardless of price" and "State of the art".

Thoughts?
Thanks.
128x128brad1138
returned the topping d90 mqa - my three dacs presently are rme adi 2, chord qutest and chord 2qute
Hey,
I "Mirror" luisma31 post.
I too have the RME. His remarks are spot on.

And I have a tube DAC (Musical Paradise MP D1 MKII with upgraded caps and 6922 tubes) which I enjoy as well.

The DAC's are at opposite ends of the audio spectrum.
Yes, the RME is crystal clear with no digital glare or harshness but the sound stage is a bit narrow and shallow.

The MP DAC o.t.h. is lush and full. It has a wonderful expansive sound stage.
The RME is a bit better at "hearing into" the mix (detail).

Truth be told; I can listen to either for hours with no listening fatigue.

That being said; The MP DAC is about 9 years old.
I wanted to ask Luisma about the sound qualities of the Audio Mirror Tubidour III.
What is your opinion of the Audio Mirror unit? 
Is it detailed as well as being musical?
That would seem to be the ideal character for a DAC.

Thanks very much.

Hi, I think you probably are asking someone else, I don't have the audio mirror dac, although I heard good things about it, I have a project s2 and denafrips terminator and was considering the RME adi-2 and tubadour as well
I am a recent RME owner and I would guess I have forty hours on my unit and I’m very impressed with this DAC, even out of the box I was impressed. As soon as I hooked it up I did not use use the stock PC into the switched power supply but an extra cable I built from VH Audio shielded PC with Furutech plugs into my PS Audio P5 so I’m not getting people describing the closed in or shallow stage as in my system which I have room treatment I find the complete opposite. I leave my system on 24/7 except my preamp being it is tube based.

I’m amazed how good this little box is for the money and trying to get my mind around how many manufactures have much bigger boxes filled with so many components inside. I think for the price of this DAC I’m using fairly adequate cables to pull out what this unit is capable of and maybe I’m not really hearing what this piece is capable of.

So far I have not tried the headphone amp but using only as DAC with the volume, and all the other variable settings set to fix. I’m using coax and balance out so maybe others are using other in/outputs. I’m extremely impressed with this DAC and dare say it’s the strongest component in my system today. My only negative comment is I wish it had more inputs as I have three devices I’d like to connect without having to unplug. I’d rather have a BNC input over the Toslink.

This DAC is very clean but without having any edge and I don’t want to call it smooth or analog but but I guess it is but not slow or boring. Absolutely no fatigue or ringing; this thing is dead quiet and in my system it throws a huge stage well beyond the sidewalls of my room and definitely beyond my speakers. What I’m amazed is, I’m hearing that the DAC in my Cambridge wasn’t delivering bass authority. Not that my Cambridge doesn’t produce adequate bottom end but the RME shows the Cambridge definitely has it weaknesses and it’s actually a great bargain but it’s not up to the RME... not even close

I know it’s all about system synergy but I don’t get how anyone feels this DAC is closed in, so maybe I just got lucky. Don’t know if owners that are talking about its shallow/narrow stage have the earlier unit as mine is the latest FS versions and they’re using the stock PC. I haven’t pulled my ModWright preamp out yet to run the RME direct but I will and I’m actually a little nervous because I love my ModWright. Another thing thing I’ve noticed is low level volume which my system excels at, but the RME is noticeably better than my Cambridge at this as well. I know the Cambridge isn’t a world class component but for the money it’s darn good. What I wasn’t expecting was how noticeable the difference would be and it’s not what many say is just a different sound, signature or presentation because any component such as preamps, cables and etc. will do the same. No, the RME just does everything better than my Cambridge which my Cambridge does better than my Oppo 205 does.

The RME is a great little DAC that really shows what great engineers are capable of who come from the pro engineering side of things. Made in Germany, can be had for $1099 new with a 30 day return policy from most if not all authorized retailers. It is a powerful DAC with more features than most users need but the menu is not that hard to learn and with the manual at hand it is easy to navigate through so don’t let that scare anyone off.

I’ve not heard a MHDT, Denafrips and other DACs mentioned here by many and I’m sure they sound wonderful. I was looking at these other brands and if it wasn’t for the current pandemic I would have made a purchase but stumbled on RME and glad I did. I’d say many manufacturers have a lot to be worried about on the RME ADI 2 fs. The box and feel/fit is very good but it’s not Audio jewelry so if one wants to pay 2-3X for that, if not more then have at it. As mentioned my only complaint and it is minor one, is limited inputs but I’m sure it would add cost and probably for most not an issue. Another great thing is I don’t feel the need to modify, change caps or roll a tube which it doesn’t have or need... it sounds great as it is.
@adg101: you mentioned that you compared cambridge audio DAC with RME ADI-2. May i know the Cambridge Audio model name..?