TRL Marantz Sa-14

After speaking to Paul at TRL I am very curious to hear from those who own this unit what improvements do you hear with the player before and after the mod.

The SA-14 sounds weak in the bass and has no dynamics in comparison to some players like the Sony Scd-1 in stock form. Has anyone compared the TRL Sa-14 to the Sony Scd-1?
la45
I'm approaching 150 hours on my TRL. You would have to have a pretty low end system to not hear the differences between the straight out of the box player and how this player currently sounds. The soundstage has gone from flat to extending one to two feet outside of each speaker and to about 5 feet behind the speakers. I'll just let it keep playing.....
Help? - I'm around hour 300 on a 2000ES and still hear distortion in the midrange and treble. Is that the common experience with other TRL mod owners? I've heard these things take time but I don't know if there was damage in shipping or if this is the way it is...for now.
Hi All,

Wanted to jump in on the TRL action here. The break in question is a very good thought provoking issue. From my own experience I was following the break-in period on my TRL Sony 2000es and my log shows a significant change at 310 hours.

I wish it was my imagination but its not. Its like reporting, several eye witnesses see the same thing you can pretty much take it to court.

Some of you who just had the update are witnesses and soon will know. Some modders are free with their part changes while others keep it private. Too bad there is formula.

But there is curiousity about everything and why they work that way. Its only natural to ask what TRL is doing to get this kind of sound.

On the question of what modification I am doing on my transport, its really experimentation at this point.

I am planning to CNC a few parts with my material. And as for the static sheets I have not been able to get a response from the overseas company. I would recommend for those who wish to try this tweek go to your local Radio Shack or order on line the Static pad ($24.99) which is used when working inside any electronic device.

If it does not work, its easy to return the item.
Cjenest - Distortion in the midrange and treble are not normal. I don't have your exact player but based on my experience at some where between 100 to 150 hours the TRL mod really starts to flesh the sound out with lot of air around the instruments and no hard sounding treble. Your player may have been damaged. Does it sound like the transport is rubbing or anything of that nature?
Sbayne - The best way to discribe the sound is somewhat like if you said, "shhh"...maybe distortion is too extreme. The other thing is that it doesn't happen on every disc. I'm open to ideas...see below for system.

McIntosh 6500
GMA Callisto
Audio Magic speaker cable
Audio Magic Interconnect
TRL/Sony 2000ES
CRL Silver power chord (for TRL CDP)