Loudness - Why has the industry stopped producing amplifiers with this feature any longer?

I listen to music at all times of the day and night (solid sleep eludes me the older I get).  My favorite times are when the family is gone and I can select the listening level, mostly moderate to higher volumes.  But the simply fact is I find myself listen at lower levels much more often then my preferred listening mode.

Piggybacking on a discussion regarding low level listening here on Audiogon, I'm posing the question:  Why has the majority of industry stopped producing amplifiers with this feature any longer?

I look forward to your input
Ag insider logo xs@2xtenbar
What's wrong with headphones? I won't use them because they sound so good I get carried away (and lose hearing in the process). Consider them if you've more self control.
For a few years , starting In the early 90s I had a Yamaha rx570 with a variable tone control, and Paradigm 9semk3 towers. The combo could sound thin and lifeless at low volumes; the variable loudness control worked wonders. In my second system  I have a vintage restored Tandberg 1055 with a well implemented loudness control. Very useful at low volumes, and seems to automatically compensate with volume . I use it without guilt.
   My main system has a tube hybrid Audible Illusions pre with 2 gain and 2 volume controls, and a high current SS amp, driving Maggies. For whatever reason this system plays very well at low volumes. Maybe its the tubes , maybe the high current, but it needs no "loudness" compensation. 
      High end audio has definitely gone "purist" for at least the last 30 years, and has eschewed tone and loudness controls. I understand the concept of a pure signal path, but I don't get my shorts in a bunch about using a loudness control if it makes things sound better for late night listening. If you like it, use it.
     Come to think of it, and this is just my speculation: a lot of audiophiles listen at quite moderate to low volumes for normal listening. Both myself and my closet audio buddy are case and point. Maybe that plays into the designs of some high end equipment builders, thus helping negate the need for controls. 

I miss having a loudness button...it made a definite positive change when listening at low levels.
Buy a McIntosh preamp they actually have different levels of loudness. So much freedom!
I have (among others) a vinatge Sansui AU-517 integrated amplifier but I've never use its loudness switch. I even prefer to listen to it flat, though I always used loudness buttons of Sansui and Pioneer amps in my youth.. Tastes and listening habits tend to change...