TRL Marantz Sa-14

After speaking to Paul at TRL I am very curious to hear from those who own this unit what improvements do you hear with the player before and after the mod.

The SA-14 sounds weak in the bass and has no dynamics in comparison to some players like the Sony Scd-1 in stock form. Has anyone compared the TRL Sa-14 to the Sony Scd-1?
la45

Lkdog- You are so right on the "a great LP" will hit the target. So many more great LP sources than what I have seen on modern day redbook. Your set up sounds like its cooking though and I would love to get back into vinyl again.

Jes45- Hope you are trying cycle-burning the SA-14. Play system 24 hours 3 days then turn completely off for 1 whole day. Slower but nice results IMHO.
TRL Family: I just installed my SA-14 after the TRL mod and gave it a quick hour listen. The guys left my player on a redbook CD on repeat with a load on the outputs for around 4 days before I picked it up. So, it is still very fresh, if you know what I mean.

Initial impressions are very impressive. The dynamics jump right out at you. The background is very black and tightly focused. I should stop myself first and let you all know that Paul, Brian and Joel have came up with some new mods for the SA-14. Brian and Paul are e-mailing past TRL SA-14 owners informing them of the latest mods and letting them know that they will install the updated mods for TRL SA-14 owners FREE OF CHARGE, you only pay shipping each way. Tony Riordan, our very own Lkdog, was the first to have this update done. I waited and had their entire mod done at once, this last week, when I was gone on vacation. I should note that the TRL SA-14 mod is still only $550, even with the "new areas addressed".

I have heard the TRL SA-14 without and with the latest mods. The latest mod really improves the dynamics, has a little more low midrange/high bass warmth and has better soundstaging. Focus is improved too, which is probably tied in with the lowered background noise.

To me this was already an incredible bargain. They aren't charging a premium for the recent updates and are doing the mods free for past TRL SA-14 owners. This speaks volumes about TRL as a company and about the Weitzel's in general. This type of customer service is unheard of anymore, regardless of the Industry.

I'm going to get back to my new toy ... it's calling for me.

Best,
Jack

Well, when Paul and Brian said they had been doing continued analysis and evaluation of the SA14 and had uncovered additional exciting upgrades to the existing mod*****they wanted to do for free*****I couldn't get to Fedex quick enough. They told me they were going to offer it to all SA14 past mod customers, but I would get to be one of the first if I wanted.

I just got it back this week.
Yes, the music jumps out of blackness. It is faster and handles transients and dynamics easier now. The midrange is more fleshed out and has more authority than before. Music simply sounds more real.
I only have my unit a little over halfway broken in so I can expect some continued changes.

This thing was already very very special before I sent it back to Summer Camp at TRL. I was happy as hell already. Appears to be a very exciting and not subtle upgrade and the fact they are doing it for free is quite a statement about them.

Will keep you posted as it breaks in fully.

Regards
hello Men.

Yep. Mine is headed back on Monday. It is amost unbelievable to think that the TRL guys are updating their modded SA-14s free of charge. Customer support and customer loyalty! - the TRL guys are special, and a pleasure to do business with. Brian said that I'm "in for a real treat". I can hardly wait. :-) I'm building a special box for shipping.
It's also interesting how they find new ways to improve their work - through medical equipment testing. Wow!
I got an email from Brian earlier this weekend. Its very nice of them to give a free upgrade. Too bad shipping from Hong Kong is ~$320 round trip!

My SA14 has been burning in for a month now. I would imagine that the redbook section is fully burned in now (I have played red book 95% of the time). But, the CRL Silver power cord is a big thick beat with lots of metal in it so I think it still has a bit to go before it fully settles in. The refinement has improved in the past few days.