TRL Marantz Sa-14

After speaking to Paul at TRL I am very curious to hear from those who own this unit what improvements do you hear with the player before and after the mod.

The SA-14 sounds weak in the bass and has no dynamics in comparison to some players like the Sony Scd-1 in stock form. Has anyone compared the TRL Sa-14 to the Sony Scd-1?
la45
Indeed, let's go back to the topic. My TRL DV9500 will arrive Wednesday and I also locate a pair of HT Cyberlight Wave with battery pack, which will arrive Friday before I head off for vocation, to use with TRL9500. I will report back my first impresssion after spinning a few good SA/CDs.
Jes45, anything you could share with us now about the SA14 before you send it in. Does it sound to the warm side of neutral? How is the bass and dynamics.
Hchi: Please let us know what you think.

Reb1208: I wouldn't call it warm, then again, I've been listening to my 595 which is what I'd consider neutral. The bass is a little shy and less tight, compared to the modified units. And the stock unit is a little harsh, (digital edge/glare). Dynamics (once again stock) leave me wanting more. Micro dynamics and detail also leave me wanting more. Listener fatigue is an issue (stock).

Usually, isolation devices can be used to tame one extreme or another, but the stock SA-14 has too many things to tame. Use Stillpoints by themselves and the digital glare is over pronounced, but the bottom end tightens up. Use a softer isolation device by itself, such as the HRS Nimbus Discs, and the bottom end gets too sloppy, but the digital glare is tamed. I even tried Maple blocks, brass cones and aluminum cones to no avail.

Simply put, I wouldn't want to spend much time at one sitting, listening to a stock SA-14. Then again, I have heard the modified SA-14, which has everything that I'm looking for. The modified unit will integrate very well with my system.

Best wishes,
Jack
I had basically a very similiar view of the Stock SA-11. Today I am sending off payment for a TRL SA-11.
Reb1208-

My friend here on AG (tmoore) also placed himself on the order for a TRL SA11.
He discussed this at length with Paul after he could not find an SA14 the last few weeks.
I am sure that you have also talked extensively with Paul, and he feels that these units should turn out beautifully also.
Will be interesting to see what people think, and what TRL thinks when they hear both the SA14 and SA11 side by side.
They are doing enough SA14's that they should have one in the shop to compare when they get yours in for modding.
If it has a similar signature and sound to the SA14, I think you will find the issues that Jack describes as addressed very well. I am very happy with my SA14 in my setup as it breaks in.
Regards-