How Do You Live The Audiophile Life

I don’t really have the credentials to be on Audiogon. Kef Q150s and new NAD equipment that replaced my stalwart Arcam Solo. Maybe I can peek over the fence.
So I’ve have a question about the new equipment. I’m browsing the forums, looking for an answer. I know as much as about audio as anyone who isn’t an audiophile. But I was astonished at the number of brands I’d never heard of. And I know the price of the stuff I have heard of.
I’m in NYC. Maybe there’s five high-end dealers here. I’m guessing that number drops off quickly once you cross the Hudson.
This is a long winded way to ask how you live the audiophile life? How do you get access to this stuff? I’d want to hear something before dropping a car-like sum on it. Do you buy blind? Do you travel? Go to the industry shows? Help me, teach me, inform me.
I guess this question applies to speakers as well. Maybe more so. But I was in the amplifier section so . . .
paul6001
What is Estoril Blue?
Search and find out.
I did.
It's the BMW M sports car color. Dark sky blue. 

Counterpoint to the music much more important than sound is if just music you’re after then you can do that with mp3, iPod and earbuds, or a 1980s cassette Walkman.
The former is what 95% of population does, but nobody here probably okay with that level of quality.
Both important but I think most here need the sound quality to even be able to enjoy the music. What level of sq beyond mp3/iPhone each needs on that regard will vary of course
Back to the question at hand: If the budget is limited and you would classify yourself as entry level but are looking to progress in the hobby I would recommend the following approach:
1. As stated earlier get subscriptions to The Absolute Sound and Stereophile. 2. Watch the free YouTube Audio Channels for reviews and info. Good ones include John Darko’s and Steve Gutttenberg’s. There are others. 3. Take a look at Schiit.com. Their stuff is very good bang for the buck for those entering the hobby. 4. If budget is limited you will likely do best on the secondary markets like here at Audiogon, and others.  5. Because of number 4 above, you may want to invest in an Audiogon membership that gives you access to the Bluebook. Also look at completed sales for equipment you are interested in on eBay. This way you will begin to have a feel for the secondary market and what items are worth. What’s a good deal and what isn’t. 6. One thing that needs to be said, depending on your living situation and taste, you can have a very top line Headphone and portable audio system for a LOT less money than an equivalent Loudspeaker based home system. Something to think about.
7. When the world opens up again and if AXPONA and the Rocky Mountain shows survive, attend one of them with a plan of how you are going to see what you need or want to see efficiently. This will broaden your audio education. 8. Last this is all about enhancing music appreciation. Get subscriptions to Qobuz Studio and or Tidal Hifi. Finally: Roon. One of the best music discovery and appreciation tools around. It will integrate your above Tidal and Qobuz subscriptions and provide you with tons of information, new music and enjoyment. Welcome Fellow Audiophile!
I'm not a typical audiophile---I don't listen to jazz I'm not super detailed on specs. I listen to mostly electronic music and classic rock/pop/alternative. So I can educate myself. I try to go to as many audio stores (not Best Buy) as I can. Try to go to a audio/stereo convention like Axpona or Capital Audiofest so you can see and hear all the brands. I went to my first one last year and had a blast. I read these forums, watch YouTube videos and subscribe to stereo/audio magazines. Just educate yourself as much as possible---find a budget and shop around. And try to make it as fun as possible. Good luck!
I would advise to go slow. You seem to think most audiophiles have secret passwords and handshakes they use to buy exclusively offered products. Sure, there are boutique electronics that the well heeled name drop to prop their insecurity, or not; there are secure name droppers. Whatever the case go slow, read, listen, and take everything with the proverbial grain.