TRL Marantz Sa-14

After speaking to Paul at TRL I am very curious to hear from those who own this unit what improvements do you hear with the player before and after the mod.

The SA-14 sounds weak in the bass and has no dynamics in comparison to some players like the Sony Scd-1 in stock form. Has anyone compared the TRL Sa-14 to the Sony Scd-1?
la45
Oldpet,
Thanks for the suggestion. I have a couple performing CD's that have frequency ranging the whole spectrum with very dynamic rhythm and transient. However, I have more difficulty finding the similar's in SACD. Most likely I will burn-in the SACD (preferrably m-ch) with some large scale orchestral works as the last resort.

Jsala,
I have no doubt it will beat the crap out of my Ah! CDP that I am using now. However, that would not be enough. I was in Taiwan last year and listened to numerous high-end systems at friends' places both in digital and analog. I trully look forward to how well this player is going to perform.
Originally I wanted to sign-up the TRL11 from Paul. But due to the short supply, I just couldn't wait. While contemplating between SA-14 and DV9500, I chose to go the 9500 route because of its newer 4398 DAC, updated HDAM output circuits, and m-ch support. Regarding the transport, I believe its transport should be similar or even identical to the one used in Denon3910 as they both source from D&M Professional. So far, Paul is liking what he sees in term of built quality, while the sound is still the 'typical' Marantz house sound. Knowing Paul's team is a bunch of miracle workers, I am hoping that the player could reach the league to be with the big boys such as TRL11 and 14. I can't wait to receive the player.

By the way, what IC and PC are people using with their players? I am getting the Silver PC from Paul as well. Any recommendation for ICs?

Thanks,
-Howard
Hchi-

Welcome to the discussion and I hope the TRL DV9500 meets your expectations.

As far as power and IC's, I use a Ven Haus Audio power cable made for digital. It is modestly priced and seems to be an excellent performer and is well reviewed.

For IC's, I use RS Audio Silver Interconnects. Once again modestly priced, but viewed and reviewed as a very solid performer. Although is is pure silver, it is not hot or tizzy by any means and I have been happy enough with it to not worry too much about an upgrade.

I am sure there are better power and IC's out there, but it is so system specific you almost have to try different stuff out IMHO. I want cables to stay out of the way and these seem to let the sound through pretty well.

I use CD's and SACD's with a wide range of dynamics and frequency range for break in as suggested by others.
I am not sure about having to break in both SACD and CD separately, but I alternate discs.

Since I am also breaking in my TRL modded Musical Fidelity A300 amp, I have been doing some sessions at higher volumes at times. I also like La45's technique of turning everything off for a few hours and then starting the burn in again.

As far as the sound after about 180 hours on the TRL SA14, it is natural, open, extended, detailed, smooth, with a deep, high, and wide visual soundstage.

It is breaking in very nicely. Some tizziness on certain recordings, but this seesm to be more a product of the recording than the player (DiMeola-Kiss My Axe; Foreplay-Heartfelt). The unit seems to present the music fully and honestly so if a recording is mastered a bit hot like the above examples, it does not tame it completely at least at this point.

By comparision, those CD's on previous players only took listening 10 minutes at high volumes to become fatiguing and harsh.
The SA14 is a smooth customer, but as it presents the recording honestly, some stuff may still be a bit digital sounding.

Overall, sounds analog on most CD's even more than the TRL Sony 595 which is saying something.

Let us know how your unit turns out!
Hchi: definitely let us know how the 9500 sounds on all formats once you have it broken in a bit.
Howard,

I'm looking forward to your and Paul's comments on the 9500. I originally intended to get the 9500 modded for the same reasons as you (newest Crystal DACs, updated HDAM, perhaps better DSP). But what put me off was that the 9500 is designed to be used with a monitor, and my system is audio-only. Some functions require a monitor (e.g. turning digital output on/off) but you don't need to do these set-up tasks often. Other functions, like putting a disc on repeat, are easier with a monitor, but I was able to memorize the sequence of keystrokes needed. In contrast the SA14 is audio-only so I find it easier to use. I do still have it though....
Jsala,
Acutally the TRL9500 will be used in a stereo rig only also. I am hoping that I can program most sequencies into my iPaq where I consolidate most of my remotes into. Things that concern me the most are 5.1 and 2-ch switch, DSD and CD/PCM layer switch, and a few others. I am wondering does the buttons of the SA14 remote work with DV9500?

Thanks,
-Howard