Magico Q3's at Goodwin's High End

Just a quick note to say that Goodwin's High End (in Boston) along with Alon Wolf presented a demonstration of the Magico Q3's yesterday.

As usual, it was a class act by Goodwin's and a real treat overall. Mr. Wolf fielded a number of questions about the speakers (and Magico's approach to design) and his detailed responses were fascinating.

The Q3's sounded spectacular. They were setup in Goodwin's huge listening room (20x30x11) and they were positioned quite wide apart and deep into the room (almost halfway). I was transported to the symphony hall with a few tracks - like nothing I've ever experienced before. They were driven with very expensive electronics, inluding huge Boulder amps that were 1000w each (if I'm not mistaken) to compensate for the size of the room.

The Q3 is a modest size floorstanding loudspeaker, but it weighs 250lbs! Like the Q5 (if you've ever heard it) it is very clean and neutral sounding. Definitely a speaker that lets you listen into the music rather than wow you with a forward presentation. Besides classical, we heard some jazz, some instrumental and a cut from Jennifer Warnes Famous Blue Raincoat that was stunning. These speakers don't call any attention to themselves. They were so coherent and produced such an impressive soundstage that it didn't feel like they were the source of the sound. Jennifer's voice had no artifacts (sibilence, etc) that it was like she was standing there. I feel I finally heard how the record was supposed to sound.

Anyways, I'm not trying to do a proper review here, but I did want to thank Goodwins and Magico for the opportunity and I thought I would share my initial impresssions.

Would love to know what other folks at the presentation(s) thought.
madfloyd
Having a good chance to check out the amp requirements of my Q3s now. VTL MB-450s (450W 8xKT88 tube) in the shop for upgrading to MkIII status so have a pair of Silicon Arts Design ZL-120 (120W, MOSFET) in their plance

So OK yes the 120W does drive the speakers, and sounds pretty good (this is after all a $28K amp, vs $18K for the VTLs) and the treble and detail are great -- but there's something missing in space and in the bass. I'd recommend you look for a good 200W+ with these speakers

Makes me wonder what the Technical Brain mono blocks that Magico rates would sound like ... maybe some day
Hi guys,

For those who had listened to the Q3s,
Do you think the Soulution 710 stereo amp(120 watts @ 8 ohm, double up the watts when the ohms halved) can drive the Q3 to it's full glory n potential?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers
In regard to the Soulution 710 -- I suspect that you will like the sound with this amp, and it will work well, the Soulution line was recommended by Alon Wolf I believe. I do think when you have the time and the funds you may find the Soulution 700 gives even more -- net net I think these speakers will allow you to hear the amp at its best
Depends on how big the room you are using 710/Q3 with, I suppose. I heard the combination at my dealer over the weekend in a smallish room and it has no problem driving Q3 to more than adequate loudness with no sign of stress.
I have not yet heard Q3 with other amplifiers but on V3, I prefer it driven by Spectral. Personally, I find Soulution a bit too lean for my taste (I heard 710 with Q3 and 700 with Q5), perhaps its damping factor which is incredibly high, couple to Magico very very fast bass just sound a bit fatiging to me after awhile. No tympani or snare drum is that tight in real life I think. May be it was also Argento cable that my dealer was using that is also on the lean side of neutral. They are getting in MIT cables which I heard sounds great with Spectral/V3 in the past.
Thanks for the comments guys.

Looking to upgrade to a nice floorstander in a dedicated audio room of 15ft(L) by 10.5ft(W) by 10ft(H). Will be playing it down the long side of the wall.
In the list are Magico Q3, Tidal Diacera and Ktema.

Suteetat, what is the rough dimension of your dealer room?
Believe my room of the sized mentioned is considered small.
Hope its more than adequate if I decided to go for the Q3 driven by the Soulution 710.

Cheers