Lower end Soundsmith cartridges vs others in same price range?

Soundsmith seems to be a great option for the long term due to their retipping prices. I'm just curious if the performance of the Otello or Carmen is better than anything under $1000 from AT, Ortofon, Hana, etc. I'm running a Technics 1200GR-Elac PPA-2 MM/MC Phono pre. 

I'm not looking for other options as much as opinions on the Soundsmith VS other options.
aberyclark
Jeff Day is currently using a Soundsmith Carmen on a vintage Thorens with a Thomas Schlick arm. This is quite an endorsement. 
His review of the Carmen and Zepher high output are very good. You can find them on Positive Feedback. Good time to buy a Soundsmith. Most of them are on sale.
I am anxiously awaiting a new Paua. 
Who is Jeff Day and why it’s important to use what he’s using ?
Schick designed for low compliance cartridges like SPU and DL103, it can be used with other cartridges too (i owner schick "12) but it’s not the best tonearm, my EPA-100 was so much better than Schick and i sold the schick later. I must say it was very elegant tonearm on my turntable, the design is very nice.

The OP is using Technics 1200GR

It is clear for me that for MM/MI Technics EPA-100 "10.5 tonearm is better than Schick "12
@chakster 

This is Jeff Day. Many of us have followed his reviews over the years. He’s written for various magazines.
https://jeffsplace.positive-feedback.com
@chakster 

If you enjoyed reading Art Dudley you would probably enjoy Jeff too.