Spendor D7 vs. Harbeth Super HL5+

Anyone who has heard both? Comparisons? I own the Harbeth. Curious about the difference with the Spendor. What brand and type of amp used. Thanks!
routeman21
Certainly everyone has their own preferences; one person's bright can be another person's neutral, etc...

My previous speakers were S series Magicos (beryllium tweeter) before purchasing the Spendors, and to my ears that tweeter provides another whole level of detail and speed compared to the LPZ tweeter used by the D series (let alone the Harbeth).   Things like snare drum and certain percussion with the Magicos was the most lifelike sound I've experienced at home. I was amazed after going to a some live events and then listening at home how realistic certain things sounded to me.

The main driving factor for moving on from the Magicos was poor or bright recordings could become too fatiguing over long listening sessions. Great recordings sounded awesome, but not everything I listen to is well recorded...

The first speakers I listened to after the Magicos were the Harbeth HL5+ and 40.2. The beautiful midrange and non-fatiguing listening was great. I can see why folks like them. That being said, I definitely noticed details and speed I was used to hearing in my favorite recordings that were not present or at least not to the degree I was looking for.   The 40.2 could energize a room and I liked it but it is too big for my room.

The Harbeth dealer mentioned to me he knew a music producer who used both Harbeth and Magico based on what he was recording...

For me I found the D series a nice comprise between the two brands and for type of sound I was looking for. Not counting tone and detail between Harbeth and the other brands I listened to (which all offer slim towers), the other thing I noticed was I didn't think the side to side and back to front imaging with the wider Harbeth boxes was as pronounced.   I can confirm the D9's disappear almost as well as my Magicos did in my smallish room, which is pretty impressive for a pretty large speaker.

To be fair as well, I've not heard the D7 and although the Spendor dealer said they sound like the D9 but with less bass, I've heard others say the D9 sounds different because it has a dedicated midrange driver that doesn't share any bass duties.
WOW! Thanks guys for the tremendous amount of information. At present I still have the Harbeth's hooked up and they are sounding better (I think?). I purchased them new and I didn't hear any difference up to 100 hours. They now have approx. 150 hours on them and I am hearing a little more opening up of the two tweeters. A little more sizzle & snap as I prefer. Harbeth states in their manual and online that their speakers require very little break in (several hours) except for the supertweeter. Maybe they're right but I am enjoying them more. Also, I bought a brand new interconnect which went into the system when the Harbeth's were reaching 50 hours of burn in. As for the Spendor D7, I decided to purchase a brand new pair of Focal Kanta No. 2 towers from TMR Audio who also are selling brand new pairs of Spendor D7's. I will be starting a new discussion: Harbeth Super HL5+ vs. Focal Kanta No.2.
Thank you all for your comments!

Here is some my thinking out load.
Most of people use speakers with modern sharp tweeters like Beryllium or LPZ use
transistor amplifiers with a deep general feedback. These amplifiers had a big amount of high order distortion that sharp tweeters highlight. 

So, the speakers with Beryllium or LPZ tweeters should sound much better with tubes or transistor amplifiers with low level of high order distortion (like amplifiers designed Nelson Pass).

Regards,

Alex.

Imo wrong to conflate LPZ tweeters with Beryllium tweeters.

Seriously, as someone who has demo’d over 20 speakers before choosing D7’s, the Be speakers rank in the top 10-15% of forward-sounding speakers. The classic Spendor ( non-D series) rank in the bottom 10-30% of forward sounding speakers.

Spendor D series with LPZ ranks in the middle 20% (40-60). They are neutral, not bright.
Everyone will have preference about what sounds good to them. Some will like warmer, some will stress clarity.

But let’s stay grounded in reality here.  My opinion, ymmv, it’s subjective.