Spendor D7 vs. Harbeth Super HL5+

Anyone who has heard both? Comparisons? I own the Harbeth. Curious about the difference with the Spendor. What brand and type of amp used. Thanks!
routeman21

Showing 5 responses by kren0006

I own Spendor D7 for past year. They are not bright at all. They are neutral. I purchased them after demoing about two dozen other speakers over a six month period. The D7’s were the best, including beating other contenders up to $10k (Focal Kanta, B&W 804, Paradigm Persona, etc.). I am very happy with them, so much so that I later purchased the D1’s for my second system.

I have posted many opinions on them on A'gon that you can search if you like.
Imo wrong to conflate LPZ tweeters with Beryllium tweeters.

Seriously, as someone who has demo’d over 20 speakers before choosing D7’s, the Be speakers rank in the top 10-15% of forward-sounding speakers. The classic Spendor ( non-D series) rank in the bottom 10-30% of forward sounding speakers.

Spendor D series with LPZ ranks in the middle 20% (40-60). They are neutral, not bright.
Everyone will have preference about what sounds good to them. Some will like warmer, some will stress clarity.

But let’s stay grounded in reality here.  My opinion, ymmv, it’s subjective. 
Stereophile has reviewed both speakers, and ranks Spendor D7 as a class A speaker (the lowest price tower at time to get such a ranking), and ranks the Harbeth class B. 
FWIW. 
twoleft: perhaps, but Spendor has not been one of those brands. Stereophile gave B ratings to Spendor A7 and SA1, just like it gave the Harbeth 
I also own SA1’s and extensively demo’d A7’s on same electronics, same room as D7 before getting D7. 
I agree with the Stereophile rankings, D7 much better than A7 and SA1, which do seem like B speakers. 
I haven’t heard the Harbeths so don’t have an opinion on them or whether they deserve their B ranking