TRL Marantz Sa-14

After speaking to Paul at TRL I am very curious to hear from those who own this unit what improvements do you hear with the player before and after the mod.

The SA-14 sounds weak in the bass and has no dynamics in comparison to some players like the Sony Scd-1 in stock form. Has anyone compared the TRL Sa-14 to the Sony Scd-1?
la45
Oldpet,

Just came back from the Home Entertainment show. So far the hours logged are around 98. But my problem is made complicated by my new Single-ended amp. The designer said it had 10 hours of burn-in time and that I should expect the sound to dive around the 30 hour mark which occured at around the 80 hour mark on the Sony.

After 48 hours the juice started flowing. If you have ever heard a good Single-ended amp you know what I mean by flowing.

Gandme-

I also experienced the apparent lower volume syndrome. Here is my take on this. I still have my transformer coupled Philips player and a few days ago I put it back into the system. It was very dynamic and screechingly louder in comparison to the SonyTRL. I view the difference as more related to noise artifacts coming from the circuitry that we all have grown accustomed to and when its removed we get a purer sound that is just a bit less dynamic to the ear.

Since I am now at the 100 hour mark the dynamics are returning especially in the bass area. I am adjusting to the TRL Sony's lack of artificial 'glare'as time goes.

Does anyone agree that this maybe a fact with the TRL? By the way compared to what I just heard at the Show, this player is doing something very special.

INMHO the Hi point for me at the Show was the in the Acapella room check it out if you are in the neighborhood.
Lkdog -
I was in the same boat as you. I would like to have gotten ans SA-11 to try with the TRL mods, but budget and common sence prevailed. I saved at least $1200 by going with the Sa-14. I honestly feel like I'll have this machine for a long time. It's built like a tank too btw. So yes, I'm loving it in my system. It just makes listening fun.
Now the only reason i look at the 'digital adds' is to see if there is another player i would like to try just for fun. However - i live in the real world and have to watch the bank account. That said - I'm still a mighty happy listener. Paul is a pleasure to deal with. His turn around time is really excellent too.

Let us know what you think.

paul
I've got to admit, I'm starting to get a little impatient with Marantz USA.

I'm still going to try to wait it out ...

How can the US distributor allow themselves to completely run out of stock?

If I do lose my patience, I know the TRL/SA-14 is a winner as Oldpet can attest. I could be happy for some time with the TRL/SA-14.

Damn Marantz USA ...
Lkdog & Oldpet
Thanks for the support. I will listen and wait for another week or so. I bought a Adcom GFP-750 today on the GoN. I'll see if there is a volume change. The TRL Sony 2000 is just sounding unreal...but still low spls
Gandme -
I'm not any sort of engineer, and I'm curious what Paul said about your gain situation.
I had the opposite happen. When i first listened to the Sa14 the gain was so high I had to actually turn down the preamp! Paul said it would settle down - which it has.
He said something about the Marantz having an output of about 2 v. Who knows what that means - I know some of you guys do - but even though the unit has settled down, as far as gain is concerned, - it is still the most dynamic machine I've heard.
I'm glad that you enjoy the sound of your Sony. It's funny how little things in our audio systems drive us crazy. Your lack of gain is a perfect example. I guess it's the perfectionist in us, that doesn't allow us to accept these little quirks in our systems.

Stay after Paul - I'm sure he'll make it right if there is a problem.

keep us up to date.

paul