TRL Marantz Sa-14

After speaking to Paul at TRL I am very curious to hear from those who own this unit what improvements do you hear with the player before and after the mod.

The SA-14 sounds weak in the bass and has no dynamics in comparison to some players like the Sony Scd-1 in stock form. Has anyone compared the TRL Sa-14 to the Sony Scd-1?
la45
Oldpet

What do you mean "really does it right". Are you referring to the neatness of the mods? I looked at the inside of my 2000es and I was a bit disappointed. I don't think about it anymore since I am in heaven with the sound. Now I believe the stuff he uses all over the board must be called "magic stuff".
La45

I haven't looked inside of my unit yet. I'm just trying to get hours on it first, so it just sits spinning a disc 24/7 for now.

I'm really refering to the way Paul treats his customers. From his communication, his punctual turn around of the unit, his desire to make a beautiful sounding machine, his ability to NOT overstate his work. He even included small, but thoughtful, things in the box with the unit.
As I've said, I still have not listened to the machine, but Paul runs a first class operation. He actually delayed the shipment of my unit for a couple of days, so, "his guys" (three I believe) could evaluate the machine and make notes about it.

I haven't even mentioned the fact that his mods are very affordable. When compared to some of the other mods out there, TRL mods are a real bargain.

Since you are already listening to a TRL modded machine, I'm sure you can attest to the "bang for the buck" factor.

I just hope my ears agree. :-)
Hello Oldpet,

Paul has 3 main personnel that work on the units, himself, his brother Brian (of Record Research Lab) and Brian's BIL, Joel Sherman.

Brian and Paul are also partners in their new company "Transistor Research Labs" and have a new amplifier which will debut within a few weeks.

Please tell me your thoughts about your SA-14 after it breaks in a little. My friends unit really started sounding great after 100 hours.

Hey Oldpet,

I am also curious about break-in. Please keep us posted if there is any change at 100 hours. On my Sony 2000es I have about 60 hours playing time. The Ray Charles "Duet" sounds Rayish and enjoyable last night. I can't get over the fact that I am using a 5-disc changer for my high end system. This player is a get up and sit down time saver especially since I am using a remoteless preamp.

I just can't get over how good the TRL sound is on this Sony 2000es.
La45 says, "I can't get over the fact that I am using a 5-disc changer for my high end system. This player is a get up and sit down time saver especially since I am using a remoteless preamp.

I just can't get over how good the TRL sound is on this Sony 2000es."

That's my experience, too. I'm relatively new to the multi-disc players, but have to admit that i love the convenience of having 5 discs to pick and chose from before having to move from the sweet spot. And, I don't feel as though I'm sacrificing sound quality for that convenience.

I'm moving ahead to a TRL/SA-11 and then will find out just how convenient the 5 disc player really is ...

Sigh, isn't our hobby fun?