Bose 901's with "highend ancillaries"??

I STILL see Bose 901's are available here and maybe new after umpteen years in existence and yet I have still never hear a pair (unless you count the occasional high school concert which used the professional version).

Has anyone ever used these with "highend" gear, and if so what was the result??

Just curious if there is actually something good about the speaker other than the marketing the Bose Corporation has done over the years as they have never been inexpensive and even now hold their value pretty well.

And while I ma sure one can do better for the $$$ etc etc I am only looking for comments on how they actually SOUND - strengths and weaknesses
jrinkerptdnet
Owned 901 series lVs for years, when the surrounds went bad Bose replaced with Series Vl for shipping cost. Nothing I have owned sounds better or more exciting, just different. They have stood the test of time and all the audiophile horse hooey. I have owned Martin Logan Sequel lls, JBL L100s, Advent original loudspeaker, and many others. Presently my ancient Klipsch Quartets (upgraded). 
there's this repair center in los angeles california called 'sollutions'! they've been in the business since the 70's! they told me that many of their customers say that the series 1 and 2 are the best sounding 901's!!
With the right gear and the right tweaks these 901’s really sing ?

I hope this don't start a war on this forum...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmFc8KJrTmE