Tweaks that work? (yes very subjective topic)

So I wanted to put this out here to the group and I am hoping for a detailed response from @millercarbon.

What tweaks have you done to your system that have worked?

I am looking to fine tune or tweak my system and this is what I have now.

Rega Planar 8 with Dynavector Cartridge 20x2 LO. 
Audiophile Linear PSU SE for the Rega.
Moon by Simaudio 390 Streaming Pre Amp.
Moon by Simaudio 330A Amplifier
Moon by Simaudio 230 HAD
Moon by Simaudio 260D CD Transport.
Raven Audio CeLest Tower Speakers
Raven Audio Soniquil Speaker Cable, Power Cables, XLR Cable.
Transparent Audio 75 Ohm Digital Link 
Furman Elite 15 PF power conditioner.
All are resting on Butcher Block Acoustics Platforms. 

Look forward to the insight.
128x128skypunk
I would say a dedicated phono stage is only a must if you establish a budget and listen to dedicated phono stages within that budget vs your existing internal phono stage and hear a noticeable difference.

Don't upgrade willy nilly.  

Also, under no circumstances do you float the ground by using a cheater plug.  That defeats a very important safety feature.  Do not do this!!!!!

People that used cheater plugs typically had ground loops that they didn't want to fix by determining what exactly caused the ground loop and fixing (or replacing) it.   

I noticed four things that helped substantially.

1).  Power conditioner.  All low level equipment (pre-amp, tuner (yes, I still have a tuner), CD Transport, DAC, Music Server, Phono Stage, Turntable, electronic Crossover) are plugged into the power conditioner and that in turn is plugged into its own dedicated line to the panel.  
2). dedicated lines.  I installed four.  One for each amp and another for the power conditioner.  My noise floor is zero now.  Dead Quiet.  Also, i have virtually eliminated any possible ground loops.
3). Bass traps in the corners behind the speakers really calmed the bass output.  It really did.  I've had people over where I played music without the traps and then with the traps and they all heard a marked improvement with the traps.
4).  large rug on the floor in front of the speakers.  This also mas a marked improvement that eliminated a reflection point.

If you have a raised foundation house, then adding the dedicated lines is really inexpensive.  Even with a concrete floor (non raised foundation) it isn't that expensive.  Relatively speaking.  

enjoy

A hot tip on Tube Traps. Placement directly in the corner can sometimes hurt the sound. Best to experiment with position, from directly in the corner to a few inches to a foot or two either direction 🔛. At times standing waves can be very uncooperative. Yes, I know what you’re thinking, “But the directions say put them in the corners.“
Hello
I agree with plugging amp directly in the wall...not usually good to restrict current to the amp. That being said running a couple of independent lines is usually a good thing 
 I have 1 20 amp independent line for 2 channel and 4 lines for my Theater..

Treating a room will probably be the best money ever spent to improve sound.. lots of video’s out there on how to treat rooms.  This might be difficult aesthetically unless you have a dedicated listening room - bass traps are definitely not wife friendly lol

After that maybe experiment with some vibration and or isolation products.  Here I found these most effective on speakers - actually one of those OMG moments for me.  
Peace & Happy listening 

skypunk
 OP
66 posts
05-27-2020 2:41pm
@tpreaves  you need every penny you can get! Bet you don't have two nickles to rub together.

Of course I do. I told you that I refuse to spend money foolishly!!
@millercarbon, does the lava lamp provide any sonic benefits? I ordered some fo.Q tape a few weeks ago. Still waiting for it to arrive from Japan. Then I'll have to figure out where to stick it. Tonearm tube and/or bearing housing? Inside transport cover?