What does a tonearm contribute to the sound of a turntable?

Curious about how a tonearm affects a turntable sound. I guess it's the piece of the turntable I know the least about and feel the least connection with. how does a really good tonearm affect the sound or not affect the sound? And what about the tonearm does the affecting?
128x128simao
An interesting update:

I just got in and installed a set of Morrow Ph-4 phono cables, DIN-to-RCA. They replaced the ancient Sumiko PIB-1 junction box fro which I was running Acoustic Zen Silver Reference 2 IC's to the phono pre.

Morrow's literature advised a millenia-long break-in time, like 500 hours for the cables, so I swapped out my relatively new Hana SL cartridge for my old Benz Micro Ace S cartridge so the latter could take the brunt of the break in time and wear and tear. I Baerwald aligned it, adjusted the tracking force, and sat back for a few listens.
Holy crap! Just a bigger, more full sound than the Hana ever produced. Maybe it's the Benz's 8.8 gram weight versus the Hana's 5 gram that made the former play better with the new Jelco 750 in terms of compliance. Idk; but there was a palpable presence that hadn't been there before.

I know - lots of changes in variables here: new phono cables; new DIN connection; new cartridge.

Thoughts?

Not to mention I had to adjust the VTA after reinstalling the arm, so that may be a factor as well.