Next upgrade for my analog source

Hi all! hope I can get some opinions on the next upgrade step for my analog source.

Currently am using Rega P6 TT with Nagaoka MP 200 (MM) cartridge, and the EAR 834P fonostage.

Preamp and amp are using Lumley Reference Amplifier (Tube KT88) and going to PMC 20.24 speakers. 

So am thinking of either:
1. upgrading the fonostage to the new PS audio Stellar phono (getting rave reviews)
2. upgrading the cartridge to MC type (maybe Lyra Delos?)
3. upgarding the TT itself (not sure what to get in the $2k-$2.5k range)

I mostly listen to classical (violin, orchestra) and jazz on my analog source.

Thanks for any inputs!
jadislover
@jadislover,

I owned a 834P for over a decade. It's known to have a better sounding mm stage than it's mc stage. If you go for a lomc,  you"ll need a SUT and another phono cable.
This is a tough one. All your equipment is relatively good.
Improving any one will be an incremental improvement.

Interesting that all your choices are a little on the euphonic side.
Maybe take a step with any one of these elements toward a very precise analytic side. This may add a little more resolution.

Maybe the next cartridge is a Microline?
Maybe the next turntable is a direct drive?
Maybe the next phonostage is solid state?

Two phono preamps I can recommend in your price range are made by Lejonklou, I have heard both and they are great phono preamps each dedicated MM or MC. You can look at reviews on-line, and hopefully do a home audition if interested

Slipsik 7: moving magnet phono preamp

Signal Gain- 41 dB

Retail Price: $1795.00

Entity: moving coil phono preamp

Input Impedance- 90, 120, 180 Ohms switchable / +10 nF

Signal Gain- 71 dB

Retail Price: $2695.00

Best Regards,

Jim Perry

So what’s the alternative to your MP 200 then?!?
I suggest a very NICE MM cartridge

Let us know how it all goes, but the first and most imortant step would be a top MM cartridge, I’d say. 😉
M.

I agree with the statement above. 

Stanton SC-100 WOS is one of my favorite and it is not the most expensive MM, the sound is magical. Stereohedron II profile!

Pioneer PC-1000 MKII is in this league too, also not expensive, but very rare.

If you have a budget over $1k then Grace LEVEL II (Ruby, Sapphire, Boron or Beryllium...)  

I used to own a Lyra Argo i which is (or rather was) a step up from the Delos. My preamp was a Rega IOS (predecessor to AURA) which is a pricey but very clean and quiet phono stage. I found the IOS was the only preamp of several I tried that had synergy with the Lyra. It was a nice combination that was light and airy but somehow seemed to lack bass weight. I now own a Nagaoka MP200 (yes, same as yours). I play through a relatively inexpensive phono stage that way outperforms it’s cost. Honestly, the NAGA is a very sweet cart and sounds a bit better "in my system" than the Lyra with the exception of some minor mistracking of the most severe tracks on a few LPs. You may also want to audition the NAGAOKA MP 500 if you are unsatisfied with the 200 and try a few different phono stages to get the right balance for your system.