40th Anniversary Pre Amp and Repair History

I’d like to hear from anyone that’s using the Audio Research 40th Anniversary Pre Amp or anyone that has owned that unit in the past.  Did you experience any repairs with your unit?  I’ve had mine repaired twice in the last year.  It’s a bit frustrating.  Yeah, the unit is 9 years old but still it’s a quality, high cost piece that should last 20 or thirty years no problem.  Have you owned or do you own this piece?  Any problems with repairs?
stickman451

Yup @stereo5, Simon was living in Portland, about a half hour drive from me (he has since moved back to the UK). I got to hear not only his impressive system (Magicos, VTL amps, ARC REF40 pre (since replaced with a VTL), DCS Vivaldi, EAR-Yoshino table/Durand arm/Miyajima cartridge, but also:

- His listening room, designed by Art Noxon (ASC) and built using ASC products. Though small in size, in some ways the best room I’ve ever been in, particularly the non-resonant walls, courtesy of the fantastic ASC Wall Damp constrained-layer damping squares.

- The Townshend Audio Seismic Podiums upon which his Magicos sat (on top of a concrete floor). Counter-intuitive, the Seismic Pods allow the speakers to "float" when nudged. This idea would seem to violate Newton’s law, yet the use of the Townshend Seismic products leads, as many UK reviewers have learned, to better sound from speakers than do spikes.

- The Herzan isolation platform upon which his table was sitting. I WANT one!

- The KL Audio Ultrasonic record cleaner. Simon cleaned my British-pressing LP of Cat Stevens’ Tea For The Tillerman (yes, the original "sunray" label Island), and I was immediately sold. I’m now saving for a Degritter.

- A full plethora of Synergistic Research products. Simon’s system was the "quietest" I’ve ever heard, not a hint of hum, buzz, hiss, or any other noise.

I also listened to Richard & Linda Thompson’s Shoot Out The Lights LP (UK Hannibal pressing), long a demo disc for me, and great music. It sounded astounding, extremely detailed and dynamic. Quite a bit more extreme-treble output than I’m used to (Townshend Audio tweeters were augmenting the Magico tweeters), and sound very unlike the planars I prefer (Quad ESL, Magneplanar Tympani T-IVa, ET LFT-8b). But we all choose our poison, ay? ;-)

There are issues and horror stories with just about most manufacturers.  People typically see and hear what they want to see/hear.
Equipment and parts fail.  That is a fact of life.  Ever owned a car?  stuff breaks.  period.

I've had issues with many manufacturers.  The thing that concerns me is, if I don't want to repair it myself, can get it repaired?  Some companies use parts that you can't find or replace anymore. That is disappointing.  Try to find the FETS used in certain Classe amps.  You can't.

However, there are authorized repair facilities (George Meyers AV) for example or the manufacturer.  What I like about Audio Research and several other companies (Atmosphere,etc. ) is that the will service and repair basically every piece that they made to this day.  Same for Martin Logan.  You can still buy brand new panels for their speakers made to today's standards.  

So sorry that you had issues with your 40th anniversary pre-amp.  it can be repaired correctly and will perform great for some time.  

Some people have issues with certain manufacturers and I don't have a problem with that.  They may be justified.  But, I've noticed here mostly that there are many that are just blindly hating Audio Research.  One person's issue wasn't really with Audio Research but the dealer when you read through the hate mail.  

I saw another person hating a lot on Atmosphere but it came down to that person's totally irresponsible notion that Ralph should just give up his schematics.  So the person ranted for quite some time until we all realized what his issue really was.  He didn't want to use the manufacturer or an authorized repair facility to repair the unit.  no he wanted to do it himself (no problem with that), but couldn't get a schematic and was livid.

Fix the pre-amp.  its a keeper.  or, fix it and sell it and get the REF 10, which when I did an A/B comparison, I preferred the REF10.  However, don't get me wrong, I'll take a 40th anniversary unit any time.

enjoy

Some cars are “lemons”, they’re just poor designs that constantly breakdown and/or are ridiculously unsafe.

The primary purpose of this discussion is to poll other 40th Anniversary users/owners to see if they’ve had similar problems with that piece.

if a piece of gear goes into the shop, and is “repaired”, and then three months later it’s having the exact same issue, that’s a problem!