Schiit Freya+(Plus)

Freya+ users:

For me, sending DAC input through tube output clearly adds warmth, bloom, punch, musicality, presence.
However, when used with analog inputs (TT, FM, cassette), the tubes (current stock JJ 6SN7 supplied with the unit) sound too lush, rather over the top, sometimes frankly bloated. I mean at equal volume (not volume SETTING).

Despite balanced output to power amp, the SS buffer stage sounds inferior to pure passive mode. So it's tubes with
DAC, passive with analog, SS buffer with nothing.

Questions: (1) does my experience sound typical?
(2) should I experiment with rolling Tung-Sols or other recommended upgrade tube?
(3) does any of this bespeak some peculiarity elsewhere in the chain?

Advance thanks for diagnoses/suggestions.

hickamore
Not having compared the two sonically, I can't say. But if balanced operation is important to you, the Freya+ offers two balanced inputs as well as balanced output. There are other functional differences as well. So I would first compare the two functionally and aesthetically, and if you find no clear preference, then you can decide whether the Dialogue sounds 4x better than the Freya so as to justify the price difference.

IMO, much may depend on your listening preferences -- not just source material, but preferred sonic profile. The two preamps will sound different, but only you can say which you prefer. Both companies offer a test period allowing you to get at least a sense of this.
Ok I got the little Freya +. Delivery was fast. Looked good.
I took it out of the box voiced it, plumbed it and turned it on.

I couldn't select the input, via remote or manually on the machine.

I turn it off, make sure everything is right, check the connections,
AGAIN. Turn it back on, same thing, 3, 4, times. Then it powers
up and works. Magic...

THEN

It plays for 30 min or so and got so hot, the tubes shut down.

I walked over, I couldn't put my hand on the cover. LOL
That's hot, even for me.  It was at 20-30% volume.

I went to turn it down with the remote, it wouldn't volume all
the way down. So I turned it down, gently, it was stuck.

I used the remote again and it worked. BUT the valves were still off.

I turn the unit off, unplug, swap PC, to an all copper. Turn it back on
and it worked.

Everytime from that point on If I used the valves the volume would stick after about 20 min or so. It overheated once and shut down. That stopped. It sounded good. 

It went back, no problems so far.. I just lost my confidence for sure
on that one. They were quick to respond. Send a shipping label.
It was packed correctly. The box looked unharmed.

I used another one over a couple week period. Not a hitch..

Maybe in a couple months..I went back to a C20 Mac, No remote..
I like a remote..

Regards

@ oldhvymec

I had enjoyed my Freya + for three weeks without issue.

But I also noticed it runs hot.

Do you have good ventilation around it?

It shall not be under the shelf.

If you keep having problem, it is better to contact Schitt support.

They will reach you in a day.

Good luck.

Thomas
Definitely oldhvy got a defective unit. Though Schiit does warn rather prominently that these run HOT. Knowing that upfront, you wonder whether the four nicely separated 12AU7s in Rogue RP-7, running cooler but also taking 45 seconds to warm up, warrant the price differential. Glad to hear that trouble now resolved.

shkong, I guess whether lush, harsh, or veiled may depend on what tubes and source material are being played. Definitely ready to roll tubes. Sylvanias, NOS GEs, maybe Tung-Sols. Many users here have experimented and shared their insights, so thanks for the tips!