Simple question, or is it...

What exactly is an audio signal made of, and what exactly is the medium it travels through in a cable??
thecarpathian
As Bob Dylan says at the end of all his songs, good luck with that, dude! 😬
So the speed of the electric charge flow in a circuit is dependent on the connected load. The greater the load the faster the speed of the electric charge flows through the circuit. The speed of the electric charge is the same speed as the electromagnetic wave energy. Is that correct?
Jim, I might be wrong but as I understand it, the speed of electricity in the wire is very slow, since free electrons that carry charge move in random direction on its own and applying electric field (voltage) to a wire will direct them more in one direction (drift velocity).  Amount of electric current will be proportional to number of electrons crossing any given point/plane.  This number will be proportional to electric field (voltage) and the number of free electrons in given material (material conductivity).  This is DC current.  It produces magnetic flux around the wire.  Product of this flux and electric filed creates energy field. All this is practically stationary and I'm not sure if amount of voltage applied changes speed, but for sure it changes number of free electrons crossing given plane (current).  What moves fast is the change in electric charge.  Free electrons in the wire (that repel each other) act like water in the pipe - you push on one end and water comes out instantly on the other end.  Change in electric charge causes change in magnetic field around the wire resulting in energy field change (increase or decrease).  This speed depends only on properties of material surrounding the wire.  I know that electric and magnetic fields are always together.  Flow of electric charge causes magnetic field while magnetic field induces flow of electric charge.  We know that material itself (dielectric absorption) limits how fast magnetic and energy fields change, but I don't know how they affect back rate of change of electric charge.  It might be because change in magnetic field produces back opposing electric field.  At this point it is all getting very complicated - external magnetic fields, internal magnetic fields, inductance, eddy currents - skin effect  etc.   
Let me add my paltry understanding. An audio signal is an electrical signal that replicates a sound wave. The electrical voltage varies in the same way as the sound pressure (wave) that it represents varies. Both in strength and frequency. The varying ac voltage is created by various mechanical to electrical transducers - initially a microphone. Later in the stream, perhaps a phono cartridge. To “transmit” the audio signal, a wire is most often used. The actual transfer mechanism is a transfer of electrical charge within the wire. This is called elecrical current. The speed is irrelevant, since it can transverse your room in a tiny fraction of a second.

The actual transfer mechanism is a transfer of electrical charge within the wire. This is called elecrical current. The speed is irrelevant, since it can transverse your room in a tiny fraction of a
This is where I get lost. The "charge flow" which is current is very slow it doesn't travel across your room in a tiny fraction of a second, the "energy flow" which is a different thing travels close to the speed of light.