Tonearm mount to the plinth vs arm board vs rotating arm board vs isolated tower

Hello,

I am rebuilding a Garrard 301 and looking for a plinth. I am planning to buy 3-4 tonearms to try. I would like to know which is the best way moving forward.

Is there a difference between mounting a tonearm directly on a solid plinth vs arm board (same vs different materials) vs rotating arm board vs isolated tower. 

Thanks
Nanda
kanchi647
In the case of the first you have a subjective means to winnowing out how a separate arm pod is a failed concept;
THE ATMASPHERE PRINCIPLE

THE 'FAILED' CONCEPT
That has been my experience as well sciencecop. FWIW Brass seems to dampen aluminum very effectively in combination with soundcoat material (1/16" thick sheets).  
05-12-2020 1:23pm
In the case of the first you have a subjective means to winnowing out how a separate arm pod is a failed concept;
THE ATMASPHERE PRINCIPLE

THE 'FAILED' CONCEPT

Thank you for reminding me of why I dont use rubber belt drive turntables or direct drive turntables - the swirling and lurching from note to note of a platter driven by a rubber band vs the grainy grey wash of the direct drive as it interminably tries to calculate the correction speed required on ancient "software" using 1970's electronics, not to forget that a can of Baked Beans probably has more structural integrity than the motor housing on the DD.  And to think you can even hear it with a low res MM. Thanks again for reminding me.

Thank you for reminding me of why I dont use rubber belt drive turntables or direct drive turntables - the swirling and lurching from note to note of a platter driven by a rubber band vs the grainy grey wash of the direct drive as it interminably tries to calculate the correction speed required on ancient "software" using 1970's electronics, not to forget that a can of Baked Beans probably has more structural integrity than the motor housing on the DD.  And to think you can even hear it with a low res MM. Thanks again for reminding me.
Perhaps you'd like to make a YouTube Video to show us the superiority of your esteemed system @dover ....?
What was that........?
Can't do...it's raining in New Zealand....videos can't show shit....my finger's broken.....
Ain't it great when you can spout 'garbage' without having to provide proof or evidence...🤥
You could fill Audio Forums with your 'wisdom'....🤗
Dover
04-26-2019 7:38pm
I have been following your cartridge postings - they are great. I have the Glanz MFG61 and was interested in getting a flavour of the 610 you have.
But then....
Dover
05-23-2019 7:49pm
And to think you can even hear it with a low res MM.
To this.....
Dover
06-06-2019 4:57pm
I preferred both my V15vxmr & V15vmr with a brazillian and a dab of superglue on the stylus holder - as used in my Eminent Technology ET2. Accurate tonearm set up, properly grounded TT & clean records obviate the need for heath robinson type solutions.I preferred both my V15vxmr & V15vmr with a brazillian and a dab of superglue on the stylus holder - as used in my Eminent Technology ET2. Accurate tonearm set up, properly grounded TT & clean records obviate the need for heath robinson type solutions.
And this.....?
Dover
05-23-2019 7:49pm
Halcro - thanks for the Decca post for Frogman and I - I have been a bit busy to respond - the music was great.
And this....?
Dover
07-22-2019 7:39pm
Hi Halcro
for me on my cheapo ear iPhone plugs -

Shure V15/III/SAS - full bodied but coloured sound

Shure Ml140HE - slightly recessed in the vocals, clangy in the upper mid area

Shure Ultra 500 - the least coloured by far of the three, the balance across the frquency spectrum far more even, and more resolution. On crescendos this cartridge holds that balance. This is significantly better than the other two to my ears, more open, more balanced and less coloured.

If you really want to hear the Ultra 500 at its best you need to buy yourself an Eminent Technology ET2, a significant gain in performance cf the Dynavector/FR64 to be sure - I own all 3.

To this again....?
Dover 
05-12-2020 12:52pm
And to think you can even hear it with a low res MM.
And from this....?
Dover
10-30-2019 8:05pm
Great music. Beautiful.
In a nutshell firstly comparing the Palladian to the Decca, again ibuds, the Decca wins, most notably I can hear the chest and body of the female choristers, even individually. On the Palladian it sounds like they are singing from the top of their throat - no chest. The Decca more accurately conveys the full weight of the choristers and the room acoustics.

Then comparing the Sony XL88D to the Decca - wow. More transparent and the majesty of the performance and the completeness of the full orchestral spectrum conveyed by the Sony is fabulous. There appears to be more chest/body with the choristers from the Decca, but the vocals from uppermids to top end on the Sony appear far more transparent. As the full orchestra comes in the Sony is simply wonderful, the most complete cartridge for me of the three..    

At this point I am done with comparisons - could you please just send me the Sony for Xmas. Now back to the music....
To this.....?
Dover
05-12-2020 12:52pm
Thank you for reminding me of why I dont use rubber belt drive turntables or direct drive turntables - the swirling and lurching from note to note of a platter driven by a rubber band vs the grainy grey wash of the direct drive as it interminably tries to calculate the correction speed required on ancient "software" using 1970's electronics, not to forget that a can of Baked Beans probably has more structural integrity than the motor housing on the DD.
Perhaps Dover needs 'constant' reminding......🤗