Can an older Sony or Pioneer CD changer sound better with a budget DAC?

So just wondering?? If I took an older Pioneer or Sony CD changer, like the carousel type (circa1996) and connected via optical SPDF cable to a budget DAC, say the Fiio D03k... can the CD player sound better? Has anyone tried this? 
I have an older Sony ES CD player that I have connected to a highly regarded Benchmark DAC with great results. Not sure how far the budget DAC class has come??
128x1282psyop
Budget DACs have come a long in recent years and using one to "update" an older CD Player can be very cost-effective. Some use inexpensive Blue-Ray players as a CD transport with good resiults. I've done recent tests using an old Sony ES-series CD Player as a transport and a Schiit Modi 3 (Delta-Sigma) DAC with very good results. For whatever the reason, I was less successful with a BD/Modi 3 combo.
I've used The ES series of Sony for a long time... Look inside, some of the best you'll ever see. They the (ES series) are really really good.
The carousel ES, not to sure about....Their ES single loader a real sonic nugget,. I'm always on the lookout for the 777s or 9000s. 3-6,000 for something even close to the quality... All the ESs are of good quality.

Folks complain about CD this and CD that.... Try an old Sony, LOL just a wonderful product...and great remotes too...

Regards
I have ordered three of the Fiio D03k devices. These are the cheapest in cost, with the most favorable reviews. I will post some very “unscientific” results for the fun of it. Ahh the audio hobby is so addictive.....
I have a vintage Denon CD player that was a TOTL player in it's day. It doesn't keep up with my other CD players in terms of resolution. I pulled out a Benchmark DAC1 that I purchased used years ago ($550). I'm surprised to hear how much it improves the sound, especially through headphones. Obviously, the trick is to find a reliable, well-reviewed DAC (Benchmark, Wadia, Schitt) that you can buy at a reasonable price.