Getting the most out of streamed video: Netflix and Plex (with NVIDIA Shield Pro?)

For those of you running audiophile grade surround sound setups, I'm wondering what your approach is to achieving HQ results from either
  • Netflix, which will naturally be compressed, lossy 
  • or Plex, which streams local network media.  Depending on your source can be blu-ray equivalent.
For example, when using a smart TV to stream both of these you have 2 choices for connecting audio to your A/V processor:
  1. HDMI ARC (audio return channel) with limited audio bandwidth support
  2. Optical with even less audio bandwidth support.
The verdict:  Smart TV streaming = bad

The solution: Use an external box to stream the services, which has full HDMI output to A/V processor.  Then A/V processor distributes to rest of your system.

Have any of you found a suitable box to stream Plex/Netflix in this way?  

On the short list is NVIDIA Shield Pro.  Although skeptical due to tiny form factor.  comments?

irave
Oh another thing, there are some media content that can only be available from a certain streaming provide.  Example would be title like "Stranger Things", "Altered Carbon", "Sense8", which are all only produced and available from Netflix.  Hulu and Amazon have their own shows.
millercarbon, I'm sure your 2-ch setup is stellar, would love to hear it.  I have a setup with separate 2-ch side and surround side, where front L/R are always powered by 2-ch pre/amp.  Surround equipment can remain off when playing music.

auxinput, the Zidoo looks great - first I've heard of it.  

Previously I was considering something like  Sony UBP-X800M2, which provides 4k blu-ray + streaming, but apparently they are drawing back on their app support, which includes the dropping of Plex.  

It seems to be a challenge to find something that supports good 4k blu-ray and Plex/Netflix at the same time.

I've been using Plex for a long time - find it great for tracking what episode you've watched.  You're right, it's not a streaming service like Netflix but it is still network streaming (DLNA style).  Essentially DLNA with a better UI.

Have you found anything specifically that can do  4k blu-ray+Plex/Netflix?

Quarantinewhile, I'll look into the 3 brands you mentioned. Thanks

If you're worried about the 2019 Nvidia Shield Pro size ,that's just a plus (easy to conceal as it uses Bluetooth for remote operation) as it's the King of streamers as far as I'm concerned.I run mine to my Marantz 8805 and then to my Sony 940e. The shield will playback Netflix,Vudu in both Atmos and Dolby Vision if you have opted for the 4k tier (Netflix) Vudu will playback any movies you've purchased via digital at the level you purchased them. Don't for get Netflix recently bumped the audio Quality and as it was before they never limited bandwidth for audio. The Shield will also playback Youtube in 5.1 which is the first streaming device to do so. Another thing the 2019 shield has an advantage is the new AI upscaling for non 4k sources which is just plain fantastic.
@auxinput,

Thanks for your recommendation on Zidoo UHD2000. It would be interesting to compare this with my Apple TV 4K. For now, Apple TV 4K does a great job of providing access to Netflix, Amazon Prime, YouTube (my top 3) channels.