Non Analytical Sounding DAC Upgrade- Budget $1,500 or less

After upgrading my speakers and turntable over the last 3 years it's time to get rid of my nearly 7-year old Beresford DAC. I originally started with a budget of $750 or less, but after researching possible options it seems like $1,500 might be more realistic. This will be in my dedicated 2 channel system. 80% listening through speakers and the rest through headphones. Analog is about 50% of listening, the 50% that is digital is mostly standard res streaming (via Roon/Tidal) or physical CD (using Oppo player as transport) with some higher res stuff tossed in. Music is mostly classic rock, prog, jazz, classical.

Downstream is NAD326 Integrated and Tekton Enzo XL speakers. I'll probably upgrade the amp in the next year. The speakers are long-term keepers.

I want something that gives a nice detailed sound-stage. Being a fan of good vinyl playback I'm not looking for an overly analytical sound. Because of that it seems like a R2R dac might be a better fit. I know there's lots of choices so hoping you can help to narrow the list down to a manageable number. Here's what's on the list so far:

1. MHDT Orchid or Pagoda
  2. Denafrips Ares 2
  3. Musical Paradise MP-D2
  4. Soekris dac1541
I'm definitely open to other suggestions.

Thanks in advance!
ruleof72
@hilde45 
This thread already exists:

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/mhdt-orchid-tube-rolling

My amplifier is out for repair (Sonic Frontiers Power 2se) and I've been told that I can expect 10-14 weeks for turnaround. Ugh. What will be interesting it that I'm going to be placing my transport/DAC into my friend's "revealing" system since his is vinyl only. This will an opportunity to get my unit burned in and also to tube roll in this system. The sad part is that I won't get to listen to it at home. I am considering getting a cheap amp to do duty while I await repair. 
@letch Sorry to miss that! I appreciate you directing me to it. As Emily Litella said (all you oldies know where I'm going): "never mind."
@ruleof72 ,  I've been using the Musical Paradise MP-D2 (Mk2) for about 2 years now. I was consiering the Doge 7 unit mentioned earlier when I happened on the MP-D2 on Audiocircle.

The biggest advantage to the MP-D2, is variability and flexibility in components. 3 DAC chips to choose from, 12v and 6v tube options and a myriad of easily swappable cap options. You don't have to keep changing dacs to achieve a certain sound, you can do it with tube swaps and DAC chips if you like. Much less expensive over the long haul.

The AKM chip options would get you closer to the sound you're after than the Sabre chip offered. Output and rectifier tubes have the largest impact on sound. Honestly, the stock rectifier and driver tubes are adequate but there's definitely room for improvement.

If you're still considering it, be sure to check out the large thread on the audiocircle discless forum. 

I can also recommend the Chord Qutest. I had it in my system briefly as a loaner and was mightily impressed. A friend of mine  who has had or heard a multitude of DACS hhas said that the Qutest is the best he's heard under $5000.00.
Hey Ruleof72,

Tom_hankins is onto something here. I drove up to Newhall (CA) before the shutdown to A/B some dacs in the Schiit showroom (the Schiitr!) and wow did that make it easy. I listened to Gungnir multibit and Yggdrasil thru speakers and many sets of cans. Both were so round and musical but Yggy kicked Gumby’s a-- with its clearly bigger stage.

But I still could not make myself write the check for $2600 plus. So Eddie showed me the Yggdrasil GS (garage sale!) for $1549, a bargain and every bit as good, I think. It’s got the 1.0 boards refurbed w/current firmware into a new chassis, using gen5 USB (not Unison but so what).

Lots of you here have a newer/pricier rig than me, but on mine, Qobuz thru the Node 2i (bypassing the inboard dac) now sounds pretty close to vinyl. And cds (thru an Audiolab 6000 transport) sound way-y better than ever. Of course, my rig is a vintage Carver stack with old school Kef 104/2’s, but now it gets a workout every day. Good luck!