mbl 101e vs 116f vs 111f

could someone describe the difference in these speakers? is the 101e worth the extra money? i see a 116f for 16k and 101e for 40k on audiogon right now

how well would mcintosh components work with these speakers compared to mbl? or does anyone have other suggestions for a cd/dvd transport, preamp, and amp? it'll be for a 2.0 living room setup for music/movies

thanks
mrkoven
I think that the MBL electronics, if within a price range that's possible, would be the perfect match--the synergism of the product line becomes very obvious at that point.
I've tried the MBL in my home and it's very Gryphon-like in its sound. Not at all hashy or grainy, very smooth, nice staging. Possibly a little 'soft' sounding in the very top. I don't really know if it measures this way, but it sounds to me as if the last octave, (of what is considered human hearing) 10K to 20K is a bit honey colored, and overly smoothed over. This is NOT a deal breaker for me, as I prefer that over the other side of the spectrum.
This kind of overall voicing of the amp/pre and even integrated, may reflect their speakers propensity for a bit of forwardness in it's presentation in that region. So, the process of interactive voicing may be the reason for this result.

If you can find MBL used, (built like a tank by the way) consider that.
Good listening.

Larry
[sorry for multiple posts, I dont see how to edit my other post]

Just to contribute to this thread, we've tried a few amps on the mbls. We owned a set of 101 and 111a (both earlier versions). The installer flew in from Germany and we were able to A/B some different setups.. wiring and amps. The MBL amps are definitely no slouch, and if money doesn't matter, go for it, but we didnt think they were worth the extra expense. We ended up powering the mbls with (dont laugh) crown reference I amps. I believe they were 1100 wpc and they powered the mbls no problem. These amps are as heavy as brystons, and I have tremendous respect for them. A friend of mine also used them and one was submerged in a basement flood. He let them dry out for a week and they powered up just fine! They're built like tanks!

I did at one time try the 111a's on some Outlaw audio 300wpc amps and it was definitely not enough. You could just sense that the speaker was not getting what it needed, and I've heard the mbls really shine before, so I knew what we were missing.

My dad has since moved on to yg acoustics, so thats why he has the 111a's for sale.. :)
This is confusing AND frustrating.
To say:

"The MBL amps are definitely no slouch, and if money doesn't matter, go for it, but we didnt think they were worth the extra expense. We ended up powering the mbls with (dont laugh) crown reference I amps."

This is tantamount to saying, 'While I liked the $180K Bentley, we decided on a $6K Yugo, not seeing the extra expense as worth it.'

IMHO, the difference between the MBL and the Crown, (not casting dispersions at Crown, as it's NOT A FAIR COMPARISON) is night and day, and if you can't hear and appreciate the difference, then I don't know where to begin.

Price WAS the factor, not performance, I'm thinking.

I am first to admit to subjectivity in Audio, hell, that's ALL we have in some instances, other than 'core measurements'...but the difference between products is generally so obvious that, if one can't hear and appreciate differences, especially like the difference between the Crown and MBL--I AM laughing.

Larry