Want to get into Streaming

I know very little about streaming. I did read a ways back in some thread to look up someone, he had a primer on the subject for someone like me, in my situation. Thank you for your help.
sabrejet
In my case, I simply use a PC that runs Audirvana to stream Tidal and to play my ripped CD's and hi-res audio files. The digital audio signal goes to a Chord DAC. 
If you are a music lover you should investigate Roon.  A Nuclueus can plug directly into a USB DAC and that's all you need for hardware.  Mytek Brooklyn+ is a good one and it decodes MQA from Tidal Masters, which while not a panacea, are worth having available as an option.  That setup will run you 40% of your budget max plus cables, and will give you an excellent listening quality.  Given your resources, you can go large on  cables...something like a Nordost Tyr USB 2.0 and ICs to match.  You do need a hardwire link to your router for the Nucleus, BTW.
PS Audio Directstream.  To my ears, the best DAC under $15k, and — again to my ears — better than the much more expensive dCS Bartok.  I’ve owned one for a few years, have upgraded everything in my system at least twice, except this component.  In fact, I just bought a second one for a second system.  And I can’t count how many times I’ve seen major reviewers cite this DAC as their home reference choice (John Atkinson included).  Moreover, it gets better, for free, each time they upgrade the FPGA software, which you download for free (and, you can experiment with the previous software choices, making it 5+ DACs in one box).  Buy it with the Bridge option, hard wire it with an ethernet cable, and you’re basically done.  All that’s left is deciding between the compatible tablet app, or Roon, and deciding between Qobuz v. Tidal.  I’m not in the industry, I’m not affiliated with PS Audio, and I have no stake in your decision.  But from one stranger to another, I highly recommend it.  
I tired Roon but unless I missed the boat it didn’t play hi res files off of Qobuz or from Qobuz playlists. Did I miss something?
I suggest you “ease in” to gain perspective and start with the Node 2i.  
After all ..with no comparison baseline...how can you know where you’re going if you don’t know where you’ve been ? The Node 2i should check all of your boxes and keep you waaaaay under budget.

*note*        native MQA playback is a nice plus +