Inexpensive AV Processor with bypass

Hi, I currently have a 5.1 system centred on an old Primare P30 processor. Unfortunately t does not properly decode Dolby Digital + or Atmos. I would prefer not to have to replace the processor.

Q1: is there any device which can convert Dolby Digital + and Atmos into old-fashioned Dolby Digital?

Q2: in order to maximise audio quality my system has a separate high quality DAC which, for music, feeds through the processor in bypass mode, thus avoiding conversion of the analogue signal back to digital. Is their an inexpensive processor which has: Dolby Digital, Atmos, and a similar bypass mode? Balanced XLR connections preferred. Sound quality need not be top notch, as it´s for movies only, not my priority. Thanks!

garbo
Q2: in order to maximise audio quality

In order to maximize audio quality you would eliminate the processors and multi-channel altogether. In order to maximize audio quality your home theater would be two channel. Sell everything surround, buy more subs. All movies regardless of when they were made or how they were recorded play just fine in stereo. Only the sound quality is way better. Seriously.
https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/8367
millercarbon follows this forum just to post opinions to kill multi-channel audio.

As to your question, Atmos is encoded into normal Dolby True HD. This is only done through bluray players and it is fully backwards compatible to normal True HD. Probably your best bet is to get a bluray player that will down-convert this to old fashion Dolby Digital through digital COAX cable.

Otherwise, the least expensive processor that will do what you want is something like a used Marantz AV7702 which goes for around $1,000 plus or minus.
@auxinput +1

millercarbon's act is so tired and old. Totally full of himself!

Miller Medusa Power Center
Miller Carbon Turntable
Miller Solution Turntable Rack
Miller Morel Subwoofers
Miller Window Shutters
Miller Solid Core Door
Miller Corner Tunes

Miller Solid Core Door.....really?

I think he forgot to list:
Miller RED carpet and Miller RED striped wallpaper.
Thanks for the entertaining replies; and the link to that extraordinary system. It puts my attention to detail to shame. I have tried TV in stereo (with my 2 REL subs), but I prefer surround; would especially miss the centre channel. The Marantz is too expensive for what it will give me over my old Primare P30. The bluray idea is interesting, but I don´t quite understand it. How would I find one that down-converts as you say, or will any do this? Will any player receive a digital signal from the TV? Aside from down-converting would it do anything else? Specifically, I would want to avoid it making any DA conversion, especially given that it should be a cheap player. Can you suggest a cheap player that will work? Thanks

Is the TV your source?  If so, then you are using a "SmartTV" that supports stuff like streaming.  Most streaming uses Dolby Digital Plus or Dolby Digital.  It's possible you could connect the toslink digital output of your TV directly to your Primare P30.

Are you using a different source?  This question about Dolby Atmos may not apply.