Who owns/owned a Fidelity Research FR1 MK3F & what is similar but better

To say that I love, love, love this cartridge is a gross understatement. In fact I love it so much I now own 2 - one I had rebuilt and one I just bought which is virtually unused.

The sweet tone of the music and the life like performance of both instruments and vocals is outstanding. The delivery of music is totally immersive and mesmerizing. Whilst the high frequencies are detailed yet silky smooth and the bass is low reaching but solid, it is the midrange where everything comes alive.

It is in this midrange zone that the voices of Nancy Wilson, Jacintha, Vanessa Fernandez, amongst others, become incredibly real, intoxicating and seductive. It is also in this range where trumpets, saxophones, snare drums, bass guitar & piano sound so palpable you feel like you can reach out and touch them.

To give the above statements some context I should point out that I have owned and / or demo'd some reasonably desirable cartridges such as Technics EPC-310MC, Audio Technica OC9 III, AT 32e II, AT 150 MLX, Denon 103 with aluminum body and soundsmith rebuild, Signet TK 100LC, Linn Adikt & Grado F1+, and I can honestly say that based on my taste, none of these cartridges come anywhere close to providing the sheer enjoyment I get from the Fidelity Research.

So what do I do now??? Have I reached vinyl nirvana???? In the short to medium term I say yes wholeheartedly and I am content to focus my $$$ on expanding my record collection with a massive smile on my face.

However, and there is always a "however", what happens when I am ready to consider going to the next level or I get that itch that we all get no matter how high up the food chain we get. What cartridge, (vintage preferably), would offer a similar sonic flavor but provide a little more of everything I love about this magical cart.

This request for information is purely out of curiosity at this stage as I have no desire to spend more $$$, but I am keen hear from those members who have owned the F version of this cartridge and find out what they did to take it to the next level. 

Thanks in advance for any observations y'all may have.

ateal
Dear chakster, I wouldn’t say there’s a hype about the MC702, it’s the least know member of the FR7 family (it even changed its name). It may have been a rebadged FR7f for export purposes, which wasn’t an uncommon practice. Ikeda himself did something similar with the Ikeda 9, as the Rex and the one with the Japanese characters (called Kiwami I believe) apparently were identical.

Whatever the case, I can directly compare it with FR7f and while the specs and stylus are identical, they definitely do not sound the same. I’d say the MC702 is slightly tailored towards a more open and detailed sonic presentation. Perhaps in an attempt to bring it closer to the generally accepted ’modern’ sound of MC’s, which has sometimes been accused of having a deliberate (and artificial) treble rise to create the illusion of hyper detail and transparency.

But there is nothing artificial about the MC702 sound and I would describe it as a slightly more refined version of the FR7f. Some folks have also suggested that the MC702 has a shorter cantilever, but I’m not so sure about that. In any case it hits the ’dots’ on the Feickert exactly like the other FR7 versions, without changing the position of the FR64s.

There is a hype because it is one of the rarest version of FR 7 family.

@edgewear You’re right about shorter cantilever, as i can read in the English catalog about model 702:

"Newly developed short cantilever reduce the effective mass of the moving parts to approximately two thirds that of previous MC cartridges to faithfully reproduce the wide dynamic range of the highly modulated groove cut into today’s best audiophile discs."

I must say there is no FR-7fz in this catalog, while the rest of the models such FR-7 are there. Probably FR-7fz indeed was the latest model.

Mystery!

Indeed some mysteries remain. But they sound great, no mystery there!

Coincidentally I recently discovered that they shift another gear if you use them with a silver wired step up transformer. I acquired an Ortofon T-3000 for use with my MC5000 and MC7500 carts, but the FR7 also benefit greatly from using this device.

I had been on the lookout for FR's own silver wired SUT, but that's next to impossible to find. The Ortofon seems to be a great substitute. Recommended!

Coincidentally I recently discovered that they shift another gear if you use them with a silver wired step up transformer.

I've been using them with Luxman Toroidal Silver SUT 
But the recent discovery is Current Injection phono stage, it's so nice with FR-7fz 

Historical note, going back to Nandric's post of 04-25-2016 7:10am, regarding the FR1-Mk3 "F" compared to a plain F-less Mk3.

I have a review from circa 1980, possibly in HFN, stating that the FR1-Mk3 had a nasty treble peak, which Fidelity Research promptly fixed — and added "F" to mean "flat". According to the review, the peak was eliminated by adding a tiny tantalum cap inside the cartridge body.

I've seen photos of a nude Mk3F and couldn't see a cap added to the normal workings, even a tiny one, and there's not much room in there.

I have three of the Mk3F cartridges, all NOS, and I find they lack the last bit of transparency of my preferred MCs. That may be because they're NOS and have not "broken in"... or whatever a 40 year-old suspension does with adequate playing time.