Equi=Core Hum & Other Issues

I’ve owned a Core Power Tech Equi=Core 1800 for 6 months. Recently the transformer has started to hum inside the chassis. It happens when components are on and also when sources are powered down. The transformer hum is intermittent. It ranges from multiple times per day to 3 or 4 days without any hum. I never had DC on my dedicated lines before, so I picked up a Klein Tools AC/DC tester... https://www.kleintools.com/catalog/electrical-testers/electronic-acdc-voltage-tester-12-240v-ac-15-2...
and when plugged into wall receptacles it indicated overload. Line voltage is steady at 122VAC and always has been.
What am I doing wrong, and how should I test for DC on the power line?

I discovered another problem when testing the Equi=Core duplex receptacles; they indicate inverted polarity. All house outlets measure correct polarity.
I’m looking for some assistance in diagnosing this hum. I’m not sure if it’s due to DC offset or if the torroid itself is vibrating in its mounting.

I know this is becoming a long thread, but I must mention that the Equi=Core now trips the breaker at the panel when powered on. It trips several times in a row, eventually allowing power-up. This is a 20A dedicated line from a subpanel which I’ve had for years.
Any advice is much appreciated.

128x128lowrider57
OK @jea48 . 
 I can clearly see the drip loop and it's exactly like the one in your picture. I'll need to use my binoculars to see the rest.

So, I'll check that the mast clamp is below the bottom of the weather head... 6" to 12"

Next, I'll look for the triplex
terminations. And they should be below the weather head.

Now I understand how this design keeps water out of the conduit.
Will report back tomorrow.
Thanks Jim!

CORRECTION:

Next thing to look at closely...... Look closely how the two 240V insulated wires and the bare neutral conductor of the triplex are spliced, connected, terminated, to the two black insulated conductors and the bare neutral conductor that enters the weather head.

That should read:

Next thing to look at closely...... Look closely how the two 240V insulated wires and the bare neutral conductor of the triplex are spliced, connected, terminated, to the two black insulated conductors and the INSULATED neutral conductor that enters the weather head.

Sorry about that......

(Insulated neutral conductor will more than likely be black wrapped with white marking tape.)

Jim

@jea48 
Hi Jim. I had a good look at my outside power hookup.

There are 3 lines from the pole that run parallel to all the rowhomes; 2 heavy gauge, one thin cable. They are mounted to the rear wall and extend about 15" outward and 12" below the square weatherhead. 

The service drop consists of two black cables and one white. The drop is U-shaped but the black cables enter the side of the weatherhead and terminate inside. They are horizontal at the point of entry.
The white cable hookup looks like your diagram and enters the bottom of the box.

I'm awaiting your reaction to these findings. Thanks. 

There are 3 lines from the pole that run parallel to all the rowhomes; 2 heavy gauge, one thin cable. They are mounted to the rear wall and extend about 15" outward and 12" below the square weatherhead.
Wow.

Well, it sounds like the utility power lines are below the " square weatherhead". That’s good.....

The service drop consists of two black cables and one white. The drop is U-shaped but the black cables enter the side of the weatherhead and terminate inside. They are horizontal at the point of entry.
"The drop is U-shaped but the black cables enter the side of the weatherhead and terminate inside."

weatherhead? Sounds more like a junction box. How big is the box? Just a guesstimate.

The drop is U-shaped but the black cables enter the side of the weatherhead and terminate inside. They are horizontal at the point of entry.
I have no idea what you have.... No Idea.... Has to be really old though.
What stops the rain from blowing in through the side of the box where power wires enter?
I assume the box is surface mounted? Is there a conduit that drops out of the bottom of the box?

The white cable hookup looks like your diagram and enters the bottom of the box.
240V Lines enter through the side of the box, and the white neutral wire enters from the bottom of the box. Correct?
Is the box made of steel?
@jea48 
I have no idea what you have.... No Idea.... Has to be really old though.
What stops the rain from blowing in through the side of the box where power wires enter?
I assume the box is surface mounted? Is there a conduit that drops out of the bottom of the box?
It is very old. This is an old neighborhood which used to have blackouts during storms. We finally got new transformers on the poles. Power is stable and higher now, 122-124VAC.

Nothing stops the rain from entering the box. The black cables from the drop make a 90° turn and enter through 2 holes on the exposed side. The white neutral enters through the bottom and keeps a perfect U- shape.
What's interesting is the electrician knew exactly where the water leak was. I was looking at the meter and he said no, it comes from up there.
I'm going to take pics. I'll try and post them for you over the weekend.

The box is surface mounted and looks like steel, about 6" x 4". The conduit drops out of the bottom and is very weathered looking; really beat up. 

I'm going to check out the hookups on some other homes.
Jim, I always appreciate your help.
Jim S.