Esoteric DV-50: Any cdp's Significantly better?

Is there are anyone out there who has compared the Esoteric DV-50 to a number of dedicated red book only players (or other universal's) and found one that is SIGNIFICANTLY better?

I stress significantly because in my humble opinion the redbook playback (if comparison unit is just a cd cd player only )must be significantly better to justify losing DVD-A, SACD and DVD-Video capability.

I keep hearing there are better one box solutions and being a die hard 2 channel fan I would sell my DV-50 if I found a player in the same price range that sounds significantly better. But every time I do an AB comparision to other well respected units the DV-50 has slayed each and every one.

So far, it has eaten the lunch of the Classe CDP-10, Ayre CX-7, Linn Ikemi, Cairn Fog Vers. 2, Cary 306/300, Arcam DV 27A and CD 33T, Myryad CD 600, etc. It even betters a Sony SCD 777ES/MF Tri-Vista 21 transport/dac combo that I previously owned. I'm only comparing the DV-50 to single box cd or universal players, but I just wanted to mention the Sony/MF combo. I'm sure there are some dac/transport combo's that will handily beat the DV 50.

Some may say that the DV 50 should beat all the above because the of price point ($5,500 vs. average price of $3,000 for the above players). But I disagree since conventional wisdom says that stand alone players (especially with the pedigree of those mentioned above) should produce better redbook than a universal player trying to be a jack of all trades. Only the DV 27A does video plus audio. By the way, I was very impressed with the 27A as just a cd player. Of all the above I would say the Ayre was the best.

Next on my list is the Electrocompaniet EMC 1UP and the Resolution Audio Opus 21. However, I must tell you I am really impressed with the DV 50 and all the great reviews are absolutely true. I've noticed that many people who are using it or comparing to other players are using the RCA analog outs instead of the balanced outs. There is a significant improvement in sound if you use the balanced outs and I'm only interested in hearing comments from people who have compared it against other players using the balanced outs on the DV-50.

My system components are as follows:

B&W N803's speakers & HTM-1 center
Cary Cinema 5 (5 x 200) amp
Anthem D1 Statement pre/pro
Esoteric DV 50
Acoustic Zen Satori Shotgun speaker wire
Nirvana SX balanced interconnects from DV-50 to Anthem
Acoustic Zen Matrix reference II interconnects from D1 to Cary
No after market power cords or isolation equipment

My system sounds great! Those who comment please make sure to specify what specific improvements you heard over the DV 50 and what cdp were you comparing it against.

AVGURU
avguru
Boa I saw you are selling your Audio Prima, you must
be on the digital journey, I heard good things about
the Prima, Still not happy? Cant blame you.I agree
with Eric, In the Shootout we listed, all the gear
involved, Please do so.Thanks
Audio_girl, that was a joke? Sounds more like a cheap shot. Not a very gouda one, I might add. <-- (psst..that's a joke, don't let that sly by ;)
oops, sorry, 3910, my typing is getting worse instead of better. Alex has promised to use a high quality isolation transformer for the uk 240v conversion. I understand that consulting audios isolations transformers are used by Underwood mods, and that this has a dramatic affect on the overall sound. It will be interesting if this does alter the sound of the APL 3910 for the better.

Luke
I was joking as well, Audio Girl. Sorry, I'm often
taken as serious even at times when I don't intend to be. I only learned just last week what LOL means. Slow learner, I am.

Jactoy, we will definitely continue listening to more players. As for the Prima, we're not selling it until we can find a player that offers more dynamics and resolution without giving up the ability to play emotionally, at a gut level. If I'm missing the energy of the players, I'm not interested, no matter how 'right' a player is. In the end, we could still end up keeping the Prima for its ability to convey the humanity behind the music.

Ehfm--and Alex can correct me if I'm wrong--but his system consisted of a 2A3-based hybrid amp that he built himself, his modded 3910, double-stacked Dynaudio monitors, and silver wiring throughout. He was trying out Audience PC's on the CDP, and I believe on the amp as well. We were principally trying to discern the characteristics of the 3910, and how it might work in our system. We have SET amps/horns at home, and find that combination to be quite intimate.
All the best,
Howard
My modded Magnavox! I just purchased a Magnavox MSD124 on an open box special at Best Buy for only $29. I was planning on using it in my boat this summer, but after 5 bottles of wine Sunday night, I remembered that they used to modify Magnavox CD players years ago with great success.

I started the modification at about 9:00pm Sunday night. After taking the cover off, I realized that my first problem was going to be the small chassis size. The other was that I didn’t have any parts to do the modification. I decided the best thing to do was…first, open another bottle of wine, and second, use my Esoteric DV-50 as the parts base machine. After all, I could always replace the parts tomorrow.

I went to my garage and got my hammer and drill, and proceeded to hammer the top of the cabinet to make room for the larger transformer from the DV-50. I had to also pound out the sides as the cabinet was a little thinner. I then realized that I didn’t have a schematic for the Magnavox but it didn’t matter for I don’t know how to read schematics. I must admit the Magnavox didn’t have the quality of parts inside that I expected for $29, and I was now looking at replacing many more parts from the DV-50 than I had first planned.

I was about to give up and then had a great idea. I totally gutted the Magnavox and DV-50 both. I moved all components from the DV-50 over to the Magnavox chassis. I then suspended the boards with rubber bands (I learned this from Conrad Johnson) so that I never needed to use Symposium or Aurios suspensions again.

You won’t believe how great the Magnavox now sounds! It is an incredible improvement for a $29 player! I think I’m going to call it the TJR Magnavox. I will admit the chassis is a little bloated on the sides and top, but I’m an audiophile so sound is where it’s at for me. I hope to have a few of these players in reviewer’s hands after I get another case of wine next week.