The bass is the place...

Seems like that most speaker manufacturer’s are able to deliver a speaker that can, and mostly does, a reasonable job in the highs and the mids, BUT the bass is where so many fall down! This is also what most manufacturers ask big money for...the more bass capability the higher the asking price. So, we are left with, at least IMHO, most speakers that really cannot produce accurate and extended bass with any real precision. Your thoughts? Why is the bass the place?
128x128daveyf
Not that there's anything wrong with the technical discussion, Fletcher-Munson, power, any of that, but curious to know which of you guys has actual experience with a DBA? 

I mean actual, you know, experience?
I am loving my brief but actual experience!
Works incredibly well in a 10' x 14' office room!
Tried 1, then 2 subs. Couldn't get the muddiness out of the sound until subs 1 through 4 rang through clear as a bell!
Millercarbon and Atmasphere said it all much more eloquently than I could. I will only add that getting the bass right is about 30% of the speaker conquest according to dr Toole. Also it’s not very easy even with four subs. One still has to put in some diligence to really get it right. You will need some parametric EQ and some room acoustic even if minimally. But as they said, there is no other way, especially if you want to widen the sweet spot.   Good news is, when you do get it right, it’s heaven.  There is a wealth of literature on the subject on the Web. Good luck. 
When I need some bass my speakerlab 3’s bring me back to high school roots reggae loud through the dynaco my dad built both in the late 60’s early 70’s sometimes when you need bass the speakerlabs get it done👍
This is why I gave up on subwoofers. First, you're constantly worried about bass levels...all the time...not to mention the optimum placement.  And I never liked how my primary amp sounded with them on the same circuit.  I probably gave up too soon...but I felt like I was chasing my own tail at times.

Anyway, over the years I've developed a 6th sense in handling the room I'm in.  That has helped.  But right now I have the opposite problem: My Primaluna has a lot of bass slam...it's kinda ridiculous. This is not hyperbole. My speakers are Salk Songtowers with 5" mid-bass drivers and there is no need for a subwoofer. I can't believe how good  the bass sounds.

Anyway I hope acoustic ceilings come back in fashion. They really do make stereos sound better...no contest.