9", 10" or 12" tonearm?

Can anyone explain why many analog aficionados like or dislike 12" tonearms? What is the main sonic difference between a 9 or 10" tonearm and a 12" one? Is the 12" dogma outdated? I must say that in the past there were more 12" designs (SME 3012, SAEC, Audiocraft) than nowardays. Is 12" for "audiophools" with strong nostalgic feelings (like me)? (Especially when combined with those old Denon 103 or Ortofon SPU).
dazzdax

A long arm offers a lower degree of tangency error but has more resonances of the barrel ... this is the reason for sympathizers or detractors for the 12’’ arm

For example, I don’t love them but I appreciate the 10'’ arms!
It depends on the cartridge. Longer tonearms have higher effective masses. In order to make a longer tonearm as stiff as a shorter one you have to add more mass yet. If the cartridge has high compliance it will suffer in one of these arms. There are some examples of lighter 12 inch arms that are very stiff. The SME V 12 comes to mind.  Kuzma 4 Point arms are heavier but stiffer yet. There is no straight line tracker on the market today that I would prefer over one of these arms. I have watched Clearaudio arms tracking records closely. The cantilever always leads the arm like the tail wagging the dog. I am sure it is possible to make a straight line tracker work beautifully. I just do not believe it has been done right yet. When it happens I will be one of the first to jump on board assuming I can afford it. 
Sounds like new materials would be a benefit for the longer arm, lighter, stronger and low resonant......