Esoteric DV-50: Any cdp's Significantly better?

Is there are anyone out there who has compared the Esoteric DV-50 to a number of dedicated red book only players (or other universal's) and found one that is SIGNIFICANTLY better?

I stress significantly because in my humble opinion the redbook playback (if comparison unit is just a cd cd player only )must be significantly better to justify losing DVD-A, SACD and DVD-Video capability.

I keep hearing there are better one box solutions and being a die hard 2 channel fan I would sell my DV-50 if I found a player in the same price range that sounds significantly better. But every time I do an AB comparision to other well respected units the DV-50 has slayed each and every one.

So far, it has eaten the lunch of the Classe CDP-10, Ayre CX-7, Linn Ikemi, Cairn Fog Vers. 2, Cary 306/300, Arcam DV 27A and CD 33T, Myryad CD 600, etc. It even betters a Sony SCD 777ES/MF Tri-Vista 21 transport/dac combo that I previously owned. I'm only comparing the DV-50 to single box cd or universal players, but I just wanted to mention the Sony/MF combo. I'm sure there are some dac/transport combo's that will handily beat the DV 50.

Some may say that the DV 50 should beat all the above because the of price point ($5,500 vs. average price of $3,000 for the above players). But I disagree since conventional wisdom says that stand alone players (especially with the pedigree of those mentioned above) should produce better redbook than a universal player trying to be a jack of all trades. Only the DV 27A does video plus audio. By the way, I was very impressed with the 27A as just a cd player. Of all the above I would say the Ayre was the best.

Next on my list is the Electrocompaniet EMC 1UP and the Resolution Audio Opus 21. However, I must tell you I am really impressed with the DV 50 and all the great reviews are absolutely true. I've noticed that many people who are using it or comparing to other players are using the RCA analog outs instead of the balanced outs. There is a significant improvement in sound if you use the balanced outs and I'm only interested in hearing comments from people who have compared it against other players using the balanced outs on the DV-50.

My system components are as follows:

B&W N803's speakers & HTM-1 center
Cary Cinema 5 (5 x 200) amp
Anthem D1 Statement pre/pro
Esoteric DV 50
Acoustic Zen Satori Shotgun speaker wire
Nirvana SX balanced interconnects from DV-50 to Anthem
Acoustic Zen Matrix reference II interconnects from D1 to Cary
No after market power cords or isolation equipment

My system sounds great! Those who comment please make sure to specify what specific improvements you heard over the DV 50 and what cdp were you comparing it against.

AVGURU
avguru
Springbok, not to worry - anyone who gets out of hand will be asked to leave. This comparison is being done in my home, and despite the mudslinging that has occurred in the past couple of days (which by the way I find distasteful and disrespectful) I anticipate a very civil, enjoyable time will be had by all. It's all about the music, guys! Tom from Ohio just called and is confirmed to be bringing his modded DV50. :-)
Brian
I was always surprised that there was even a consensus among the original three on this thread, and I must admit I doubted the validity of their conclusion. Now, it seems, there is no consensus and some have gone home with their vanity brushed. While I doubt if there will be a consensus in any further shootout, I wish I could join you as the comradely is fun if everyone doesn't take it too seriously.
Hey brian,

The "Tom from Ohio" your refer to would that gentleman be Tom Quale?

Lou
Tbg, Iam a part of the original three, Bon (Jayctoy).
The owner of the Sony9000esModwright,I respect that
you have doubt in our conclusion,because you were not
there.This thread is for someone who are looking for
guidance like AVguru said,to have at least information,
before they will buy their cdp,obviously you already have
one the best player,Exemplar or Denon APL?, I am happy
for you,There was no doubt the Sony was way much better
than the two Denons, on the system Ive heard them, may
be in your system your cdp is better, but I doubt it.
If I were you I will fly here in Barrington,IL.The
Shootout is fun and enjoyable, its not about competition.
This thread has been through a lot,Charles and Steve
are both nice, disagreement happen.I would love to see
them in a listening room with me, they are both exciting,
individual,and emotional.Tbg please contribute in
a positive way, I did try to be careful on my opinion,
because I know words are very powerful,So far Dolfan
is extremely happy with his Sony999esModwright,1Markr
just receive his 999Modwright today,I hope he will be
happy, I will let you know in two weeks.
Brian my schedule is very tight this Saturday,but I will try to come.I will be in your place 3pm,if thats a problem
please me know,I willtry to come,I will be late.
Tbg I want you to remember this, If my Sony will not perform
as it did before, because this is a differrent system,
I have no problem with that.I can accept that.
I am excited to hear EMM meitner.Thanks
Hi Bon, it's great to hear you'll be able to make it! 3pm or so is fine, as we'll be playing around long past then.

I should ask the rest of you who haven't yet confirmed with me that you'll attend to please do so by noon on Friday that you will attend, and I will provide you with directions to my house. Otherwise I think it's fair for me to allow others not previously mentioned to attend, who have asked if there is room. I hope this is acceptable and doesn't sound demanding.

Brian