How far away from your speakers are you?

I thought it would be interesting to know how people position their speakers... do you have the freedom to put them where you want or do practicalities dictate?.. How far away are they from the listening position?.. How big's the room and how far away are they from boundary walls? My main speakers (Seas A26) are 1' from back wall, 3' from sides in a 14' by 20' room and my listening position is  about 16' from the speakers. Just wondering how much floor space we're willing to give up to get the optimum placement.
pragmasi
It's a good question, but it begs for another question.
Do you have near, mid or farfield speakers?
How large is your room.
I have nearfield speakers in a small room.
(Barfoot sound MM27)
What annoys me inspite of room tuning (acoustic material) is that i still would like to move my rear wall 2 meters further.
A close position would be a benefit talking side reflexions (floor, roof and side walls).
You want direct sound and not reflextions.
Anyway, this is all a can of worms....
Focal aria 936’s:   room: 19x42    2 10” diy subs. Set just high enough to add support without obvious bass boost/boom
speakers are 5’ from curtained front wall 7’ 7” apart and 9’ 5” from listening pos.
Which leaves just over 5’ from side walls.   Very slight toe inImaging is outstanding. With maybe just a touch too little center fill. 
Toe in more?  936’s by most recc’s  do best firing straight forward, but I’m not finding that in my room.   Time to play a bit with position but I’ll have to mark current carefully. Hate to loose what I’ve got and not get it back. 
Fronts about ten feet

rears on walls 6’ either direction

back channels on ceiling 8’ high, 8’ apart
My Listening room is: 22’(L) X 12’(W) X 8’(H). My Tannoy SGM-15’s are 7’ apart, 7’ from front wall, 9’ from seating, and 14’ from the rear wall. A pair of Rel S-812 are just inside L & R Speakers. The Tannoy's are on 18" stands and fire directly to my ears when I am seated in my "sweet spot" The sound stage is good and most noticeable in between speakers.
Good question.   I have 2 listening areas.   Main, for my primary system.  Secondary, for my computer system.

My listening room is 30ft x 12ft, roughly divided in 2.   Approximately 1/2 is for equipment and listening.  Approximately 1/2 is for an office.

Primary

KEF LS50

Speaker are about 2.5ft from side walls, about 4ft from the back wall and sit about 6.5ft apart.   My chair is about 6.5-7ft from the speaker center line.    Speakers are toed in so I can just see the back edges of the cabinets.

I initially placed the KEF pr in the same location as the Triangle pr: about 3ft from the side walls, 5ft from the back wall and about 6ft apart, with a listening distance of 6ft.   This location was perfect for the Triangle pr; they disappeared with an image that extended far beyond the confines of the cabinets.  However with the KEF pr, I began to feel that the the stereo image was a bit confined and I wasn't fully hearing what I felt the pr were capable of. 

I moved the KEF pr a little closer to the side walls, a little farther apart, and a littler farther away from me.   Improvement was immediate.  A much wider and more detailed sound stage.  Images have started to move outside of the speaker edges.  I hear more depth around musicians etc.  Still a work in progress, but moving farther away definitely helped.

Triangles worked best in near field.  KEF not so near so to speak, even though they are an homage to the LS3/5a which is the archetype for the nearfield monitor.

Secondary system is in my office.   

Spica TC50

Speakers are located at the outer back edges of a 4ft wide desk and toed in to directly face me, and my head is about 3ft away.   Imaging is pin point with outstanding depth and placement, albeit in a small space.  Almost like a pr of headphones.   I tried several small monitors in the same space (NEAR 10m, Acoustic Energy Aegis 1, ADS 410, Advent 3, Dynaco A-10) and the Spicas are significantly better in this location.   Like the KEF example, not what was expected. 

The lesson of all of the above is to be open to experimentation, and thinking out side of the box.