Esoteric DV-50: Any cdp's Significantly better?

Is there are anyone out there who has compared the Esoteric DV-50 to a number of dedicated red book only players (or other universal's) and found one that is SIGNIFICANTLY better?

I stress significantly because in my humble opinion the redbook playback (if comparison unit is just a cd cd player only )must be significantly better to justify losing DVD-A, SACD and DVD-Video capability.

I keep hearing there are better one box solutions and being a die hard 2 channel fan I would sell my DV-50 if I found a player in the same price range that sounds significantly better. But every time I do an AB comparision to other well respected units the DV-50 has slayed each and every one.

So far, it has eaten the lunch of the Classe CDP-10, Ayre CX-7, Linn Ikemi, Cairn Fog Vers. 2, Cary 306/300, Arcam DV 27A and CD 33T, Myryad CD 600, etc. It even betters a Sony SCD 777ES/MF Tri-Vista 21 transport/dac combo that I previously owned. I'm only comparing the DV-50 to single box cd or universal players, but I just wanted to mention the Sony/MF combo. I'm sure there are some dac/transport combo's that will handily beat the DV 50.

Some may say that the DV 50 should beat all the above because the of price point ($5,500 vs. average price of $3,000 for the above players). But I disagree since conventional wisdom says that stand alone players (especially with the pedigree of those mentioned above) should produce better redbook than a universal player trying to be a jack of all trades. Only the DV 27A does video plus audio. By the way, I was very impressed with the 27A as just a cd player. Of all the above I would say the Ayre was the best.

Next on my list is the Electrocompaniet EMC 1UP and the Resolution Audio Opus 21. However, I must tell you I am really impressed with the DV 50 and all the great reviews are absolutely true. I've noticed that many people who are using it or comparing to other players are using the RCA analog outs instead of the balanced outs. There is a significant improvement in sound if you use the balanced outs and I'm only interested in hearing comments from people who have compared it against other players using the balanced outs on the DV-50.

My system components are as follows:

B&W N803's speakers & HTM-1 center
Cary Cinema 5 (5 x 200) amp
Anthem D1 Statement pre/pro
Esoteric DV 50
Acoustic Zen Satori Shotgun speaker wire
Nirvana SX balanced interconnects from DV-50 to Anthem
Acoustic Zen Matrix reference II interconnects from D1 to Cary
No after market power cords or isolation equipment

My system sounds great! Those who comment please make sure to specify what specific improvements you heard over the DV 50 and what cdp were you comparing it against.

AVGURU
avguru
Dbld, I am leaving for Las Vegas in 4 hours from now so I will keep it plain and simple...:-)

The MC in the Denon can be left alone or further upgraded (Op Amps, capacitors, etc) for $150 which brings even better quality.

The extensive power supply upgrades and the Master Clock contribute to better Digital output, better Video and, of course, better overall MC and Stereo performance.

I have just a couple 192/24 discs that I play on regular bases - no problems so far.

Finally, most of the "shootouts" with my machine were done about 5 revisions ago - No Master Clock, DSP and some critical power supply upgrades at that time. Since my 3910 is now completely different sounding machine, it would be quite interesting to hear the opinion of the "Chicago gang" again...:-)...and, of course, as many other opinions as possible. I like to "play the game" with my cards down on the table - face up...:-)

Hey guys, behave while I am gone!!!..:-)

Regards,
Alex
Hi Guys,
I received my ModWright Sony 999 yesterday afternoon after an unfortunate UPS delay. I will not make any full comments just yet as the machine has only been on for about 16 hours and the listening has been very preliminary on a non broken-in machine with non warmed-up tubes. Obviously, there is lots of warm up and experimentation to do. First impressions is that the machine is marvelous. Right out of the box, the level of detail and dimensionality is greater than anything I've heard on my system. I recently heard the Linn 2.1 on a different system, but my subjective notes are that my new Modwright machine has a larger soundstage. I ran a disc on repeat mode overnight and the sound has improved somewhat. There is less congestion. Interstingly, I didn't feel that the sound was congested in the first place. Compared to my unmodified Denon, the difference, even with a cold machine, is night and day. The soundstage extends well beyond the physical edges of the speakers. The lead vocals, for example are front & center with tons of air and bloom. Yes, bloom: I love tubes! Other instruments are arrayed in 3 dimensions on the stage with their sounds being both individually distinguishable while their blend is heard to full effect. I've only listened to Redbook so far, but I'm mighty impressed.
I will give a fuller report after I've had a few days of burn-in on the unit. BTW, with no reflection on any other modder, I have to say that Dan Wright is great to deal with. He was always very responsive, even returning Emails within a few minutes over the holiday weekends.
For reference, the rest of my system consists of an ARC SP-16LS, the Musical Fidelity A3CR amp (100 watts) and B&W Nautilus 803 speakers. Other parts of the system are slated for upgrade, but I seem to have landed on a great front-end at a very reasonable price.
Peter
Hey folks, just wanted to let you know that I have spent time with AVGuru and Jayctoy over the last few weeks listening to their systems, comparing notes, talking about the different "modded" players and such. These guys are class acts!

I currently have the Audio Aero DAC, and when AVGuru stuck it in his system, in his room, using the Esoteric DV-50 as a transport, the sound was indeed "magical". Miles never sounded better! We tried the same scenerio in my house, on my system, and while it was decent, it certainly was not magical. Goes to show you how important "system synergy" is.

Pscialli, congrats on your ModWright 999ES. I just decided to go this route as well, after extensive listening to Jayctoy's 9000ES. He was kind enough to let me borrow it for a few days. I felt that in my situation, the 999ES would give me the best sonics for the $$, along with SACD, and multi-channel and video capabilities. Heck, you can pick up a pre-owned 999ES between $500 and $600. Anyways, the redbook on the Jayctoy's 9000ES was quite impressive, maybe just a pinch under the Audio Aero, but the SACD was simply awesome! I look forward to putting the 999ES in my system!

Happy New Year, all!
Hi all,

I see no one has replied to any of my suggestions. Is this an exclusive club, or is it that you all have so much moneythat any suggestion of simple diy on your behalf would be considered 'snobbish'.

Furthermore, not wishing in any way to be too argumentative, but I am a little confused by your use of the term musical. Musical to me means foot tapping, correct timing and rhythm. I get the impression some of youare using this word to mean more realistic in terms of palpability and presence of instrumentalists and vocalists. Perhaps our terminology varies on both sides of the pond.

Please check out someof my suggestions, very simple and dramatic, you will be amazed at what you can do for pennies. I do not mean to put down the work of the professionals there is no doubt they are doing excellent work, but you do not need to be a genious to do a few very simple mods yourselves instead of waiting for the money makers to come up with the suggestions.

regards Luke